No announcement yet.

Bridge pickup without the honk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all really fascinating I think I'll try and capture the "issue" the current pickups have...and then replace with the PRS VB/HFS set that I like in other guitars and record again.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post

Thanks - I have a Suhr SSH+ somewhere and also a PRS HFS....so perhaps I should give one of those a try first....
      definitely try the SSH+, I had a Tonezon and it is indeed honky! the SSH+ is like a more dynamic JB/TZ without as much honk.

Comment

Yes - I generalize at the highest level. As I intended to do. Of course companies with lines that large make everything.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Hi,

An update, which I hope might be useful. Having played and compared the guitar in question to my Vigier with PRS pickups, I decided I'd try installing the Artec EXP Expander I bought years ago but never installed, it has a flat boost, a mid boost and a V-shaped boost (mid scoop). However, after pondering the control cavity for sometime I remembered just how complex my old switching set up was. A 5 way selector, with a push/push volume control - Rothwell ACT (like a variable coil tap) a push/push tone - bridge HB override, and a toggle switch for add bridge. It would need pretty much a complete re-wire to get the Artec EXP installed.

So, I documented the existing set up, and gutted the guitar. I decided to go for the same switching options as my PRS CE24....it's a 3 way toggle for the two humbuckers, with a push/push for coil tap.

I have a spare 3 way Fender-style switch, and can use the toggle switch for the tap.

In the meantime, I decided to measure the resistance of the various pickups - I think this is of interest as it's not always advertised for all pickups, particularly not PRS. Of course, there might be other readings I should be taking with my (cheap) multimeter. I don't think you can measure the mAmp output with the guitar on the bench?

As a control, I measured the Lace hot gold middle pickup (SKU 2109) which states 6k but I measured it at 5.61. Not sure if that means my multimeter is out, or something else...the pickup is about 16 years old.

Measurements (kohms)

Dimarzio DP158 (Evolution - neck)
          Full 12.84
          Split to hot 5.69
          Split to ground 7.14

Dimarzio DP155 (ToneZone - Bridge)
          Full 17.8
          Split to hot 9.35
          Split to ground 8.43

PRS VB (neck)
          Full 8.7
          Split either way 4.35

PRS HFS (bridge)
          Full 15.68
          Split either way 7.84

Suhr SSV (neck)
          Full 7.62
          Split either way 3.81

Suhr DA (neck)
          Full 8.69
          Split either way 4.34

Suhr SSH+ (bridge)
          Full 17.39
          Split either way 8.7

Wiring to come later in the week.

Cheers,
          Andy
          Last edited by andyg_prs; 12-02-2020, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X