banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual humbucker different from other humbucker sounds in the guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual humbucker different from other humbucker sounds in the guitar?

I’m not a big fan of the combined neck and bridge humbucker sound. It isn’t distinctive enough to be worth the position. I like the split inner coils in parallel sound and will probably go that way but I’m curious what people think about inner coils in series. Artie’s virtual humbucker essentially. Does wiring it that way give a different sound from one or the other humbucker? I don’t like when both humbuckers are on and it’s basically the neck or bridge sound. I’m using a 4 pole switch with two humbuckers.

The inner coils in series is a different sound, certainly thicker (to me) than the coils either in parallel or compared to each humbucker on their own. Personally, I like the inner (or outer) coils in parallel the best.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
      Artie’s virtual humbucker essentially.
      Thank you. But PRS did it before I did. I just didn't know it at the time.

Comment

I've liked inner coils in series when i experimented with it recently, as a good platform for clean tones, superior to the too-trebly/too-grainy character of just bridge, as well as the too-dark nature of just neck, as well as how the weaknesses of those two show up in Both Humbuckers In Parallel mode (middle position).

In one of my next wiring projects on a HH guitar, I am going to make that combination one of my 5 positions, in place of Both Humbuckers in parallel.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The virtual humbucker will sound different because it is sensing the strings at two widely different positions. So it won't sound the same as a regular humbucker which senses the strings fairly close together.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
            The virtual humbucker will sound different because it is sensing the strings at two widely different positions. So it won't sound the same as a regular humbucker which senses the strings fairly close together.
            Yeah, it absolutely sounds different. You don't have quite the same phase cancellation.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, it absolutely sounds different. You don't have quite the same phase cancellation.
              It's a useful clean sound but isn't a great distorted tone. You get bass and treble without much midrange which is good if you're trying to emulate an acoustic sound.

Comment

Working...
              X