banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone clue me in on this "production floor custom" line of SD pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah about a year ago i think was the first time i saw they weren't. but they definitely used to be. i have one that i called and got direct from duncan
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

In the old, old, old days, we could get “double white” bobbins as a shop floor custom. If I had known that would ever end, I would have stocked up on all of my favorites and now have a shelf full of NOS cream, for my own personal enjoyment.
      Play more guitar.

Comment

It's definitely worth asking. The site says that only standard size hbs are available for bobbin color swap, but they did my f-spaced BW in whitebwithout a problem. I guess it doesn't hurt if the dealer is in a good relatoonship with SD.

Comment

Like I said, the page I referenced above is a few years old. I would ask the dealer to contact SD and find out if whatever you want is covered by this particular program. In fact, I might order something soon, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post
            In the old, old, old days, we could get “double white” bobbins as a shop floor custom. If I had known that would ever end, I would have stocked up on all of my favorites and now have a shelf full of NOS cream, for my own personal enjoyment.
            I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but almost ALL Duncan humbuckers can still be ordered with double-white bobbins. It's not even SFC. It's just a standard production color. Did you mean double-cream? That's the "sticky" point.

Comment

Yeah that's what Leon OL means I'm sure. He can throw an iron boot at me for pretending to speak for him lol

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Yeah that's what Leon OL means I'm sure. He can throw an iron boot at me for pretending to speak for him lol
                I just got my first double-white a few months ago. I'm really warming up to it as a nice alternative to the standard black. It does however, need the right color guitar and/or pickguard to work.

Comment

I have 2 double whites in my Music Man. I did order them through a dealer, but I don't think it was any more expensive than double black.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Getting a UK or western-EU dealer to order any "floor customs" is blood-out-of-a-stone work and when they do agree they always slap on an extravagant premium of their own; I've ended up waiting for creations I want to turn up on US eBay and importing them, as even with the shipping and import fees it ends up being a lot cheaper than getting a local dealer to make the order. I don't know what can be done, if it's a matter with a middleman distributor or what, but I hope SD can work out something to make custom work more accessible to the EU(and/or UK). Hell, even just getting a nickel or gold covered pickup is a bit of a mission here...

Though FWIW my "floor" white-and-gold Invader and gold-covered, black pole Full Shred set are my favourite pickups in my collection, period.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      I did indeed mean double cream. Thanks Dave, no iron boot required, LOL.
                      Play more guitar.

Comment

Working...
                      X