banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Double Tap vs Fralin Unbucker, PRail, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Double Tap vs Fralin Unbucker, PRail, etc?

I’m building a new Warmoth HSH super Strat and considering what to put in the bridge position. I have a Fralin Unbucker (a humbucker with one coil wound hotter than the other) in another HSH guitar and like it both in series and single coil mode. I’m not a big fan of the PRail in the bridge position (love it in the neck). Has anyone tried the new Fender Double Tap (as I understand it, it’s the same idea as the Unbucker) or any others with a similar concept?

I’ve always thought that was a cool concept. Unfortunately I’ve not had a chance to use it. Can you purchase it aftermarket now?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The Fender Double-Tap is pretty cool, it has 5 wires that come out of the bottom, but you get the usual 4 and ground out of the end of the cable. It's set up so that the split is the full screw coil, but when in humbucker mode the screw coil is tapped with less ohms. I wish they had done the slug coil as the one with the tap instead. It's also backwards in polarity and wind from a usual Duncan bridge pickup where the screw coil is the same polarity and wind direction as a Duncan slug coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post
        The Fender Double-Tap is pretty cool, it has 5 wires that come out of the bottom, but you get the usual 4 and ground out of the end of the cable. It's set up so that the split is the full screw coil, but when in humbucker mode the screw coil is tapped with less ohms. I wish they had done the slug coil as the one with the tap instead. It's also backwards in polarity and wind from a usual Duncan bridge pickup where the screw coil is the same polarity and wind direction as a Duncan slug coil.
        That is, indeed, a cool idea. I haven't tried these at all...what models are they available in?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They have a retail one and they had guitars that came with it in the neck and bridge. I am not sure if they did a wind will less turns for the neck version on those. They also have some overwound ones in more expensive models. So there is variation out there, but one can only get one version unless going to the used market.

Comment

Working...
          X