Please help figure out how to install my Fishman Fluence pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help figure out how to install my Fishman Fluence pickups

So I got a set of Fishman Moderns. I want to install them in my LTD EX-401 with a 2 volume no tone configuration with push pulls on both volumes, one for the voicing selection and one for the HF tilt thing.

I sent an email to Fishman, and they replied they can't do custom wiring diagrams (great custom service, eh?). But in turn, they sent me two diagrams they have which could help me figure out how I should go about doing my custom installation. I am a huge noob, and I usually let the local tech do the installation work, but I just bought a soldering station, and I wanted to do the work myself.

Could you guys help me figure it out, please?

These are the diagrams Fishman sent me:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 13.16.45.png Views:	0 Size:	400.8 KB ID:	6035991
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 13.17.02.png Views:	0 Size:	256.3 KB ID:	6035992
    Please please please.

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    So I got a set of Fishman Moderns. I want to install them in my LTD EX-401 with a 2 volume no tone configuration with push pulls on both volumes, one for the voicing selection and one for the HF tilt thing.

I sent an email to Fishman, and they replied they can't do custom wiring diagrams (great custom service, eh?). But in turn, they sent me two diagrams they have which could help me figure out how I should go about doing my custom installation. I am a huge noob, and I usually let the local tech do the installation work, but I just bought a soldering station, and I wanted to do the work myself.

Could you guys help me figure it out, please?

These are the diagrams Fishman sent me:

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 13.16.45.png Views:	0 Size:	400.8 KB ID:	6035991
    Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 13.17.02.png Views:	0 Size:	256.3 KB ID:	6035992
    Please please please.
    For the most part, you will be using the diagram that has two pickups in it vs juat one pickup.

1. Note how in the diagram w two pickups, each pickup has a wire that splits into 2 wires, one end of which goes to the pickup selector switch, and the other goes to ground. For each pickup, you want to send the wire end that goes to the pickup selector switch, instead to the middle lug of the 3 lugs on the bottom of the volume pot for that pickup. Then route the wire from the left lug of the volume pot to the pickup selector switch.

2. The diagram with two pickups , shows the output of the pickup selector switch going to a Master Volume control. You are going to instead send the output from the pickup selector switch to the Tip (hot) of the Output Jack.

3. Pick which volume pot you want to use it's push-pull to control the Voice 2 for both pickups. Wire the push-pull of that push-pull like you see the push-pull wired in the diagram for two pickups

4. The other push-pull will be used to handle the High Frequency Tilt on or off. Note how the diagram with two pickups shows each pickup having a single wire coming from each pickup and they are labeled as bwing for High Frequency Tilt On or Off. You want to wire the push-pull for this the same as you see for the other push-pull, i.e. those two wires get connected to a single lug on "bottom left" of the push-pull, and then the middle two lugs of the push-pull are connected together by a jumper wire, which then routes to Ground.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Also, you will need to add a wire thar connects tne back of each volume pot to each others, to form a common ground.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Also, i noticed that you said you just acquired a soldering station. I would highly recommend you watch some YouTube videos about best soldering practices AND do some practicing on a single SPARE volume pot , to get a feel for how to solder correctly b4 you dive into this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

For the most part, you will be using the diagram that has two pickups in it vs juat one pickup.

1. Note how in the diagram w two pickups, each pickup has a wire that splits into 2 wires, one end of which goes to the pickup selector switch, and the other goes to ground. For each pickup, you want to send the wire end that goes to the pickup selector switch, instead to the middle lug of the 3 lugs on the bottom of the volume pot for that pickup. Then route the wire from the left lug of the volume pot to the pickup selector switch.

2. The diagram with two pickups , shows the output of the pickup selector switch going to a Master Volume control. You are going to instead send the output from the pickup selector switch to the Tip (hot) of the Output Jack.

3. Pick which volume pot you want to use it's push-pull to control the Voice 2 for both pickups. Wire the push-pull of that push-pull like you see the push-pull wired in the diagram for two pickups

4. The other push-pull will be used to handle the High Frequency Tilt on or off. Note how the diagram with two pickups shows each pickup having a single wire coming from each pickup and they are labeled as bwing for High Frequency Tilt On or Off. You want to wire the push-pull for this the same as you see for the other push-pull, i.e. those two wires get connected to a single lug on "bottom left" of the push-pull, and then the middle two lugs of the push-pull are connected together by a jumper wire, which then routes to Ground.
          Thanks a lot, man. Really. Thank you!

Comment

Rex,

Also, in step 1, the method I gave you for wiring the pickups to the Volume pots, is the one that gives you independent control of each volume pot when the pickup switch is in Middle Position. Meaning, you can turn down either volume pot to zero and *not* killl all sound/output from the guitar. Traditional wiring method instead would have the effect that if you turn down either one of the two pots to zero in Middle Postion, you kill all volume output from the guitar. Alot of people find that unuseful, including me. This "indepedent volume" method lets you get a better customized blend btw the two pickups in Middle Position (in my opinion).

However, if you did want the kind of inter-connected behavior in Middle Position, then you would modify Step 1 like this: wire from the pickup goes to LEFT lug of volume pot, and output wire from the pot to the pickup selector switch gets connected to pot MIDDLE lug. So as you can see, its just a swap of positions btw those two wires. FYI: volume pot right lug always goes to ground.

Comment

Got it. I'm more used to that last configuration you mention. That's what my EC-401 is wired like. I think I'll do that. Thanks a lot for taking the time to walk me through, man.

Comment

Working...
              X