Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB-11/ SH-10n for a Charvel So-Cal

Hi everyone,

Been looking at a Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 1 HH FR, which has an alder body, 22 fret bolt on maple neck, and a Floyd Rose bridge.

It comes stock with a Distortion set, but high gan ceramic pickups are really not what I'm going for on on this. Hard rock/ Melodic Metal / Gothic Rock, and sometimes some New Age influenced music are what I'm currently playing.

Want some ballsy rhythm/lead tones, and good clean tones on the neck pickup, also able to handle fluid lead soloing.

Will be playing through a Line 6 Helix Floor. Oh, and I already have a JB on an alder Jackson, and I'm not into using the same pickup on several guitars.

Any thoughts on this combo, will it match the specs on the guitar, and styles it will be used for?
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

The Full Shred is on the treble side, while the CC is on the mid side...so it is hard without knowing how you use the different pickups. The Full Shred is really good for ...well, shred, but it has a little too much treble for me for a melodic soloing voice. I tend to like pickups like the Alnico II Pro for more melodic stuff across more gain ranges.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I own a Full Shred bridge in a poplar Jackson DK2, and although many find it too trebly for the bridge, and with not enough bass, I get a very balanced tone out of it.

From what I've read online, the FSn has a sort of single coil "feel" to it, so I think of it as being even more bell-like than the Jazz, both clean and with gain. I'm curious about that.

On the CC, I think of it as an 80's hard rock tone, with more present mids and a looser bass than both the Custom and the C5, which I own on other guitars.Should sound stellar on this guitar for leads.

This is what I'm thinking, having no experience with either pickup.

Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I have both, though not in the same guitar. The FS neck in a Charvel San Dimas HH FR, it's my favourite neck pickup, great clarity, sounds a bit glassy (think Jazz with a little less bass), fantastic for cleans and fluid leads. TB-11, my fav bridge pickup, is in a Jackson DK2, lots of mids, well defined highs without the ear piercing tone you get from, say, a Distortion. And the bass is a bit loose, unlikely to get a good Cowboys From Hell attack from it, but for heavy metal sounds great. Very "singing" pickup this Custom Custom. For high gain I'm playing both through a Maxon OD9 Analogman into the OD2 channel of a Marshall DSL40.
        You might like them both.

Comment

Can't go wrong with the Custom Custom. Great pickup, one of my favorite bridge humbuckers from SD. As for the neck, I don't have experience with the Full Shred so can't comment on that but I do have another guitar with dual Screamin' Demons and it makes a great neck pickup as well. In my Warmoth Strat I have the Custom Custom paired up with a Whole Lotta Humbucker neck. Though they have different magnets, they work well together. I *might* change it to an Alnico II Pro but right now I'm happy with the WLH.

Comment

Guess I'm on the right track, then...

Comment

I've got a TB16 and SH10n combo in my S2 single semi and I really like it. The guitar is very mid-heavy and the pickups really balance it out.

Comment

Working...
              X