Help with new tele pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new tele pickups

Hi i have a fender player telecaster, i have played for the last 4 months, the pickups is not bad at all but they are alittle hot and trebly
    is there a pickup that can tame the brightness a little an maybe a little extra midrange
    i have played around with pickup height, tone control and so on

it is going straight into my marshall dsl40cr and now an then also in my boss gt 100 for effects only
    the guitar will play in blues/rock most of the time and now and then clean

thanks in advance

Maybe a different capacitor on the tone control would give you a more pleasing treble roll-off
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by MB89 View Post
      Hi i have a fender player telecaster, i have played for the last 4 months, the pickups is not bad at all but they are alittle hot and trebly
      is there a pickup that can tame the brightness a little an maybe a little extra midrange
      i have played around with pickup height, tone control and so on

it is going straight into my marshall dsl40cr and now an then also in my boss gt 100 for effects only
      the guitar will play in blues/rock most of the time and now and then clean

thanks in advance
      This is the first thing that came to mind. A2 pro for telecaster

These vintage-style Tele pickups (APTL-1, APTR-1) use Alnico 2 rod magnets to provide a softer treble attack for players who want Telecaster lead tone without excess bite and classic Tele rhythm tone with a sweeter, smoother treble response.
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Jerry Donahue Tele bridge pickup would be a good choice too. It's also alnico 2 and has smoother treble and more mids than a conventional Tele bridge pickup.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

For the bridge, the A2P is definitely a safe bet for slightly smoother and calmer Tele tones. The Vintage Stack is even warmer and smoother, and don't let the DCR fool you; it's got even less output than the A2P does. It's got more in the mids while the A2P has a little more in the treble (though still less than the stock 'Player' Fender pickups). Get the A2P just to smooth off the treble a little, or the Vintage Stack to smooth off the treble a lot and bump up the mids a touch. (Plus get rid of any hum.)

For the neck I'd still suggest the same two pickups, though for slightly different reasons than the bridge. The neck Vintage Stack has more treble than the A2P neck, so it's the opposite deal to the bridge comparison. The VS neck still has the extra mids over the A2P neck, though it is also slightly lower output overall; it doesn't have as much bass as the A2P, which in the neck position really makes the difference.

So, the A2P set is what you want just to take off some treble, but the Vintage Stack set is worth considering if you decide you do want those mids to come up a little, too. Of course, mixing up the two sets could be the answer, if you don't want to adjust the neck and bridge in quite the same ways. Personally I prefer the slightly hollow tone of the A2P at the neck but the extra-smooth tone of the VS at the bridge, and the bridge is the only sound I use with gain with my Teles, so the hum-cancelling helps there but isn't needed at the neck, so it's all fine.

Comment

Go for a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and you will have your dream Tele pickup (and it will still sound like a Tele).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Go for a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and you will have your dream Tele pickup (and it will still sound like a Tele).
              I agree.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

thanks guys

think i'll go with jd bridge and a2p neck, from clips they sound about what i am looking for in that guitar

Comment

What about the Brad Paisley set do you think it is to trebly compared to a jd - a2p set

Comment

The Brad set will have more highs, less mids. Choose the EQ that you want.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Harmonic design vintage plus.

Use with 500k pots as recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by MB89 View Post
                          thanks guys

think i'll go with jd bridge and a2p neck, from clips they sound about what i am looking for in that guitar
                          the Jerry Donahue recommendation is great!
                          personally i find the duncan tele necks could use some more brightness. i haven't tried them all, but i am ok with the STR-1 which seem to be the "brightest" of the duncan lineup, but i wouldn’t go any smoother/less bright. so i wouldn't recommend the A2P tele neck. i think this will be a step too far since you just want a lil less bright...
                          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 12-12-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

the Jerry Donahue recommendation is great!
                            personally i find the duncan tele necks could use some more brightness. i haven't tried them all, but i am ok with the STR-1 which seem to be the "brightest" of the duncan lineup, but i wouldn’t go any smoother/less bright. so i wouldn't recommend the A2P tele neck. i think this will be a step too far since you just want a lil less bright...
                            ok thanks will look at that neck also

Comment

Working...
                            X