Tele Five-Two? (Hey Mincer.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Five-Two? (Hey Mincer.)

Hey Dave. I seem to recall you saying that you loved a Five-Two Strat. Have you ever heard the Five-Two Tele bridge? Or, anyone else? It looks intriguing. A Five-Two Tele set could be a really "smooth" Tele.

I have 5/2 custom made by qpickups. It sounds more balanced between the plain and wound strings. A little less attack on plain strings.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I don't own a Five Two Tele, but I've used one. It 'fixes' a Tele to me, shaving off the high end. Imagine a Tele pickup with a reverse slant...it's like that.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i owned the bridge and sold it.
        the jerry donahue is smoother and won for me in every way.
        the fivetwo teles high strings are smoother than the vintage '54 or broadcaster, but it's not a smooth pickup overall.
        it's quite bright and made for country pickers. didn't excel with overdrive in my opinion.
        just listen to the duncan clips. they are very helpful if you know one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
          i owned the bridge and sold it.
          the jerry donahue is smoother and won for me in every way.
          the fivetwo teles high strings are smoother than the vintage '54 or broadcaster, but it's not a smooth pickup overall.
          it's quite bright and made for country pickers. didn't excel with overdrive in my opinion.
          just listen to the duncan clips. they are very helpful if you know one of them.
          Well that is interesting. The JD is already my favorite Tele bridge pup. I was wondering if the Five-Two might be smoother.

Comment

I think the JD is the smoother one.

Comment

that one is easy. the JD for sure is smoother/fatter.

with the stl-52 i had to keep the tone under 8 for my rhythm work even if it’s only wound strings, whereas the jd i have the tone always on 10. i caught myself reaching for the tone to check if its full up in the first week, but actually it has the perfect brightness or nothing a 500k tone or 280k volume couldn’t fix.
              i didn’t expect to like the JD but it’s definitely a keeper.

Comment

I use the Five-Two in my Tele, paired with a Psyclone Vintage neck. I previously had a Broadcaster in the bridge, which I liked, but just wanted to take some of the 'edge' off the tone. The Five-Two does that for me. It is still a raunchy, old-school Tele bridge pickup, with just a little more rounding off of the top end. I only have the bridge pickup wired via the tone, so I have some control if I want to smooth things out a little. I can cover a lot of ground with this set up!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	65809070_10157518248607053_5581485184278069248_o.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	6038448

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                  I use the Five-Two in my Tele, paired with a Psyclone Vintage neck.
                  That looks sharp, paired with that Psyclone. Nice.

Well, I guess this will save me some money. I'll just stick with my JD. But I also have a Broadcaster that I want to try. Part of what got me started on this is I have a Five-Two Strat pup. I was thinking that a Five-Two equipped Nashville Tele could be cool. But, I guess I'll save my money.

Comment

I have been contemplating putting a Secret Agent in the mid position of this, along with a 5-way superswitch, to give me the 2 & 4 in-between tones, with the standard Tele bridge/neck in the middle position. Still not sure yet though.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

That could be sweet too.

Comment

The Five Two strat pickup in a Tele is a great idea, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          The Five Two strat pickup in a Tele is a great idea, too.
                          Well, since I have that sitting here, I just might try it in the middle of my Brent Mason-ish Tele. I also have a Twangbanger that I thought might be interesting in there.

Comment

Working...
                          X