banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool article from Premier Guitar about Maricela “MJ” Juarez!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool article from Premier Guitar about Maricela “MJ” Juarez!

Builder Profile: Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop Queen | Premier Guitar
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

From the article, here's MJ's take on the JB controversy:

“I don’t know magic, but it could be one of three things: We changed from the long-legged bottom plate to the short-legged one. [Ed. note. This was primarily to accommodate shallow pickup-cavity routes.] We also used to use butyrate bobbins like the ones in old PAFs, but at some point the vendor didn’t have the material anymore. Also, our old magnets used to be rough-cast, but then somebody switched vendors.” Standard JBs are now made with ground magnets, polycarbonate bobbins, and short-legged baseplates.

But Juarez is quick to add that those components might not even factor into the sound of those old JBJs. “It’s mainly how you wind those bobbins,” she says. “The trick might be in winding it kind of tight. That’s why we still have our handwinding machines in the Custom Shop. We have the scatterwinding machine, and we have one of the newer machines. We know that a pickup wound on the newer machine is going to sound different from a pickup with a scatterwound bobbin.”

Even allowing for those differences, Juarez insists there’s too much mythology surrounding the JBJs, and she plans to conduct a shootout between the three different versions. “We’re going to do a sound test,” she says. “I intend to compare one of the old JBs, one made the new MJ way, and a regular production model. It’s on my to-do list.”

Comment

Cool article. It's nice to see her get some much deserved recognition.

Comment

MJ can wind a pickup. My custom shop order she handled was exactly what I asked for and more
        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

She's a master at her craft and a sweetheart. I met her and Seymour at a Dallas Guitar Show a few years ago. She may not know magic, but she loves what she does and that makes it in to her pickups as mojo.

Comment

She is also a wonderful cook, and a very kind, beautifully eccentric person.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SO MJ SAID THE JB WINDS CHANGED YOU FOOZ

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                SO MJ SAID THE JB WINDS CHANGED YOU FOOZ
                Didn't catch that. I'll have to read it again.

But she did mention that today's JB uses a polished magnet and old JBs used a roughcast magnet.

That's going to make a dramatic difference and I mention it frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Didn't catch that. I'll have to read it again.

But she did mention that today's JB uses a polished magnet and old JBs used a roughcast magnet.

That's going to make a dramatic difference and I mention it frequently.
                  She mentioned they have a 'scatter wound' machine and newer 'production' machine and the tightness of the wind could change the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

She mentioned they have a 'scatter wound' machine and newer 'production' machine and the tightness of the wind could change the sound.
                    Yeah. I did see that. She also says she's going to do a test comparing different JB's.

I wonder if Mj plays guitar?

Comment

While she did mention how the wind can affect a pickup, she did NOT say that the wind on the JB has changed, only the bobbin material and the magnet being ground vs. roughcast.

Comment

Beautiful article about a beautiful person.
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          While she did mention how the wind can affect a pickup, she did NOT say that the wind on the JB has changed, only the bobbin material and the magnet being ground vs. roughcast.
                          Right. And the different winding machines. But she didn't mention the number of turns changing or anything like that. You know, they do keep some secrets. Or try too.

Comment

Yeah. I did see that. She also says she's going to do a test comparing different JB's.

I wonder if Mj plays guitar?
                            i wonder if that test ended up being the 3 JB shootout zenmindbeginner did for Duncan?
                            Quality riffs in about a minute...
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I wonder if MJ plays guitar?
                              I don't know, but I bet she knows a couple.

Comment

Working...
                              X