banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Psyclone Hot be ordered with a 4-conductor cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Psyclone Hot be ordered with a 4-conductor cable?

Folks, does anyone know if the Psyclone Hot pickups can be ordered with a 4-conductor cable?

And, any word on when the shop will be opening up?

I did a quick ebay search for shop floor custom psyclone hot and didn't find anything. Sometimes there will be 4 conductor shop floor customs available right away. It doesn't look like there are any right now so you would have to order your own shop floor custom or simply convert it yourself. About the custom shop, there was a thread the other day that a guy placed an order recently and it went through.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks Clint. I've tried sending notes to the custom shop for the past several months but haven't received any response. Any suggestions on how to get through?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        The production floor and Custom Shop is open. But what you want is possible through the Shop Floor Custom program, ordered through any authorized SD Dealer.
        The fastest way to get in touch with either is calling:
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I enquired about a No Logo option a few weeks ago and was told they aren’t currently accepting Shop Floor Custom orders. However, I think a 4-conductor Psyclone would be possible in the future when things open up again.

Comment

They might still be behind in fulfilling orders from when they were shut down. I am sure they will catch up soon. BTW, you can always either learn how to put a 4 conductor wire on, or pay someone in your area to do it if your project can't wait.

Comment

Mincer, you're too kind. I'm having a new guitar built for me and the whole idea behind the guitar was the Psyclone! I've always wanted a slightly twisted Jazzmaster guitar and I've commissioned Tom Waghorn to build one for me. It normally takes about a year for him to build me a guitar, so it's not really a rush, but I would like to get the order in sooner than later.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              They might still be behind in fulfilling orders from when they were shut down. I am sure they will catch up soon. BTW, you can always either learn how to put a 4 conductor wire on, or pay someone in your area to do it if your project can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by MJGuitar View Post
                Thanks Clint. I've tried sending notes to the custom shop for the past several months but haven't received any response. Any suggestions on how to get through?
                You're welcome. When the shop was running, the best way for me to get through was call, dial for the operator, and then ask to speak to someone in the custom shop. It would work every time.

You don't need the custom shop for a different lead tho. Just speak to your shop which is a Duncan dealer and does 'shop floor customs'.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 12-24-2020, 03:32 PM.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Just an update: I spoke with Tom Waghorn yesterday and he said that the order for the 4-conductor version of the Psyclone Hot was in.

Comment

Kind of interested in how this works out. My understanding is Filtertron type pickups are wired with parallel coils by default, so going 4-con would be the first time to hear series and split coils in that type of pickup. I wonder how it would sound.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Kind of interested in how this works out. My understanding is Filtertron type pickups are wired with parallel coils by default, so going 4-con would be the first time to hear series and split coils in that type of pickup. I wonder how it would sound.
                      Beau, here's the latest updates on the build. It's taken significantly longer than I thought, but this thing is going to rock.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, that certainly looks really cool!

Comment

Yep, the guitar is cool.

Regarding Filter'Tron's, if I can share something: they are wired in series, just like Gibson style HB's. But each coil measures 2k to 2.3k instead of 4k for an average P.A.F. clone...

Consequently, their inductance is very low. The lowest AFAIK from a well known humbucker : 1.4H to 1.8H in series for a standard FT. Between a Tri-Sonic (1.9H) and a lipstick single coil (1.35H).

Ray Butts, who designed the FT, did know his stuff: to avoid any excessive brightness and weakness due to a very high pitched resonant frequency, he did take advantage of Foucault currents (carefully tuned thx to the H shaped slot in the cover) and double thick bar magnets. But his FT was meant to be always in series with a so low inductance.

Considering all that, I'd personally avoid usual split or parallel operation with a regular FT and would favor some creative wiring : front coil of the neck PU in series with the rear coil of the bridge unit and reciprocally, for instance. And both real coils or front coils in series out of phase (which should maintain humbucking operation and give a Rickenbacker vibe).

Now, the Psyclone "Hot" has necessarily a more robust inductance than a normal FT, so it should sound good split or in parallel and my tedious rambling doesn't apply to it. :-P

FWIW : my unrequested two cents, just to share... :-))
                          Last edited by freefrog; 08-16-2022, 03:07 AM.
                          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Latest pics, for those that are interested. Only the first coat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Finish, early coats 1 LR.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	6192697 Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Finish, early coats 2 LR.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	6192698

Comment

that looks beautiful! and glad frogman chimed in, i was also under the impression filtertons were usually wired in series

Comment

Working...
                              X