Duncan Hot Tele - Tapped Bridge Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Hot Tele - Tapped Bridge Pickup

Thinking about getting one of these for an Esquire I made. Anyone have experience with one?
    -Butch

I had a tapped QP Strat pickup awhile back, was really cool. Sounds like a great idea for an Esquire.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i like the hot tapped tele pup, qp tapped too, especially for an esquire. the hot is more middy, where the qp has more bottom. i ran the switch:

1-tap output with .01 cap, no tone control
      2-tap output with tone control
      3-full output, no tone control

Comment

The Hot Tele Tapped measures 16.2k full. What is the DC resistance when it's tapped?
        -Butch

Comment

I believe it is around half.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, SD tend to do the taps on halfway. This often makes a very low tapped coil. They would be better off with 2/3, I think.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

the custom shop can put the tap any where ya want but gotta pay those prices. the tapped '53 tele is a phenomenal pup for an esquire

Comment

yeah half way is a big step. i have custom made tapped tele bridge with around 90% tap1 and 76% tap2.
                76% is a HUGE step (tap2 is 84% of tap1 and that step is perfect)
                wouldn‘t go smaller than 10%.
                even with those small steps, different loading/tone settings make sense

Comment

so where did you put the tap for those? like when i made some tapped pups, i did 8000 turns, then another 2500 turns and was pretty happy with the result. also did some playing with 8000 turns of #42 then another 3000 of #43. the pups were for customers so i only got to hear them for a bit but the owners were happy.

having the taps too close, like 10%, doesnt make any sense to me. i really like the 6.5k/9.5k of the duncan custom shop pup. i want there to be a significant difference so i can get a good variety of tones. vintage from the 6.5k and hot a juicy from the 9.5k

Comment

i never wound a pickup myself, i ordered it that way, so no glue how many turns.
                    it's a zhangbucker super paul bunyan with 10.5k of AWG42. first tap at 9.5k for the regular paul bunyan wind (despite i was warned that's quite closet, but i couldn't decide which model to get) and a 2nd tap at 8k.
                    the step from 10.5k to 8k is not subtle. i have no tone for the 10.5k (tone only connected for the taps). the step from 10.5k to 9.5k is more subtle but i don't wanna miss it, because i prefer the 9.5k. still sounds a lot like a tele but a very big one. so to me 9.5k is the sweet spot and if i want some more beaf i go to 10.5k. you lose noticable highs so the attack starts to get less pronounced (great for heavy stuff).
                    8k is more beafy than most of my other teles (also because of the rods), but actually enough twang for me.

Comment

I would say half-way would be ok since the DC is 16k. That takes it to 8k and that's about like a Jerry Donahue. Am I right or am I not thinking about this correctly?
                      -Butch

Comment

yes but the wire is different so its not quite the same. there is a noticeable difference in output and tone for sure between the two outputs.

Comment

Working...
                        X