banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14) Vs DiMarzio Norton for the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14) Vs DiMarzio Norton for the bridge?

Hi folks!

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one to use.

My guitar is a HH with rosewood body (without trem), and I play Blues and Hard Rock mostly. In the neck I've a DiMarzio PAF 36th.

Anyone have tried both (SH-14 and Norton)?

Any ideas about which one could be better for that kind of guitar and styles?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum!

If your guitar has lots of mids, I love the Custom 5. I use it with a very mid-heavy Music Man, and the Custom 5 gets rid of that honky mid quality.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The only rosewood body I've played is a Tele and it's very thin and bright. I would expect a Custom Custom would be better, if yours is like mine.

Comment

Haven't used a full Norton but I have the AirNorton which has a similar EQ, but with gentler attack and lower output.

I agree that the best match probably hinges on the midrange voicing of this particular guitar.
        Midrangey guitar, Custom 5 is the golden ticket.
        Scooped sounding guitar, the Norton might help fill out the mids a bit.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Never used a Norton in the Bridge.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have used a norton in a mahogany rg520qs for a long time. I tried the Steve's special which one would assume is close to the custom 5, the tone zone, a dactivator, and a super d. The norton was the best of the bunch.

Tonezone was muddy
            Steve's special was too scooped
            The dactivator is cool, but a bit sterile.. powerful as all get out too
            the super d is........the super d

The norton has crazy harmonics which scream as you add more gain. Less bass to keep it tight, and the vocal mids dimarzio is known for.

I have a dactivator in it now only because my norton has like 2" leads and a magnet of questionable origin.

I am going to put a norton/36rh neck combo in it soon. This is a pretty standard combo like the jb/jazz is.

Comment

Working...
            X