Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup stratocaster format to go with Phat Cat bridge

Hi everyone,

I guess it's the best place to ask a question I've been wondering.

I want to switch the neck pickup on my Chapman BEA standard, I already switched the bridge pickup for a Phat Cat because I want to keep a telecaster sound but beefier.

To your opinion what stratocaster format stack pickup would match the phat cat the best? I think it needs quite a high output but I have no idea which one would mix the best with the phat cat.

So, anyway, looking forward for your answers!

Welcome to tha forum!

Vintage output will balance fine. You wanna go with a stack even though the PC isn't hum cancelling?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Yes, because I have a push pull button on the guitar that will become useless If I can't split.

Also if I use a stack I can turn it into a "true singlecoil" whilst I will have noise and no choice If I go the simple single coil route.

I was thinking of the vintage hot stack plus since it seems to have a good amount of bass end (I love the phat cat neck on my les paul)

I want something that sounds great on it's own to be able to do Nick Johnston kind of tone but that can mix well with the phat cat if I want to add a bit of humpf to the bridge when switching to middle position.

I have a dual-rail-type pickup right now but it doesn't mix that great with the bridge I think, I would try to avoid single-coil sized humbuckers, I think it sounds "meh" when split and humbucker mode...

Comment

That's a good idea.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

How about a tapped something, like a QP? You can still use your switch with that and have two neck flavors on hand.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'd say a Classic Stack, which blends well with a Phat Cat, and sounds amazing on its own. It sounds like a slightly rounder Strat, with slightly more output. Any more output, it starts sounding thicker.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The QP is a good idea, but I'd love to keep a noise free sound as much as possible. If I can get a great stack pickup that would probably be ideal.

I just listened to the classic stack samples on the website... And I think that's the one! It sounds amazing!

Thanks, I think I'll go with the Classic Stack!

Edit: I am not sure about those RW/RP pickups, would that apply with the phat cat and if so which one do I need to get to be working as expected with the phat cat bridge?
              Last edited by Niodaya; 02-18-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X