No announcement yet.

Replacement humbuckers for Fender Chris Shiflett Tele Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I went to put my new 500k pots in and the TB16 with the cover on it. The pickup wouldn't fit inside the pickguard with the cover. I debated filing the hole a little, but decided I'd just take the cover off the pickup and see if it would slide in. Well it did, but I've never seen a pickup like this. After I managed to get the cover off there wasn't tape wrapped around coils like humbuckers I've had without covers. It looks like a piece of tape on the top half of both coils, then at the bottom there seems to be copper tape exposed then connected with a soldered jumper wire. What am I looking at here? Is it some kind of grounding? I guess I'm going to have to find some tape to wrap the coils with before I can finish this job. I really don't want this thing exposed to sweat and anything else.

Click image for larger version  Name:	156522905_450288522875754_2044744247017485683_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	6062405

Click image for larger version  Name:	side 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	6062406

Click image for larger version  Name:	side 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	6062404
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

I am wondering if you couldn't have just filed the pickguard a little bit to get the pickup to fit- I can't imagine it would be any more than a few millimeters at the most.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I probably would have if I could have found a file. All my tools are scattered around at the moment.
        "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

IMO you should not have to butcher the original pickguard of the guitar. I'd wrap it with tape. I have the pickup coil wrap tape from Stew Mac.

I'm sorry I didn't think to warn you about the Trembucker issue. I would normally avoid them, or choose another brand that makes humbuckers with F spaced poles in a standard size outline.
          Last edited by Teleplayer; 03-05-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

almost all (all?) trembuckers have that copper tape like that around the coils. some trembuckers dont have full black cloth tape wrapped around the copper if they have a cover. if i wasnt going to have a cover, i would cover the copper tape with cloth tape

Comment

Working...
            X