Abasi Fluence Both Pickups In Single Coil Voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abasi Fluence Both Pickups In Single Coil Voice

Looking at the diagrams for the Tosin Abasi Fluence set there seems to be a difference between the "both single coils" modes of the 3-way and the 5-way switch configurations and I'm trying to get a grasp of what, if any, significance there is in the difference.

In the 5-way (artist preferred) diagram, position 2 activates the inner coils by connecting the NCO of the neck pickup to the SCO of the bridge pickup, activating the single coil voice on the bridge pickup (but not the neck pickup), and connecting the output of the bridge (but not the neck) to the jack. My understanding is that the NCO->SCO connection is feeding the neck north coil in parallel with the bridge south coil into the bridge pickup's preamp in single coil mode so the bridge pickup's output includes both pickup's inner coil's signals, which is why it only actives the single coil voice on the bridge and only connects the the bridge to the output. Since the diagram tells us this configuration is using the inner coils and the the NCO/SCO tells us which coil's outputs are in use I believe we can assume the following:
    - The selected coil (inside) on the bridge pickup is the south coil
    - The selected coil (inside) on the neck pickup is the north coil
    - The active coils are RWRP with respect to each other (RP is evident from the NCO/SCO names, RW is assumed based on the fact that the artist preferred configuration uses them together).

In the 3 way diagram, putting the toggle in the middle with the tone knob pulled up will active the single coil voice on both pickups and connect them both to the jack. For the bridge pickup this is the same configuration as the 5-way, the only difference being that the NCO signal from the neck is not fed in. For the neck pickup however this seems to be using the opposite coil based on the documentation saying "In Voice-3 Single Coil mode, the active coil is the one closest to the neck for both Bridge and Neck pickups." and position 4 of the 5-way configuration saying it selects the outer coil of the neck pickup rather than the inner.

So what I'm wondering is; doesselecting both pickups in single coil voice of the Abasi set activate an SWSP pair of coils, and, if so, does that matter?

I'm considering at installing an Abasi set and I'd like to use a 3 way switch with toggles for the voices so I'm trying to figure out whether I should use the given 3-way-switch-based diagram, or if I should set the middle position up to work like position 2 of the 5-way configuration.

I'd like to be able to switch the pickups into voice 3 independently and still use the middle position, so I'm also curious if anyone knows how the NCO/SCO link would behave being fed into a pickup that wasn't in voice 3. Assuming that xCO carries only the specified coil's signal even when a pickup is not in single coil mode (like the neck NCO in position 2) I would expect that signal to be in series with the active pickup's other coil; in which case feeding the neck coil into the bridge pickup would put the parallel NCO/SCO signals in series with the north coil of the bridge rather than putting the single neck coil in parallel with the whole bridge pickup. Any thoughts on whether I have that right, or what the sonic implications (if any) of that would be?

Thanks

I have the Tosin set in a Falbo 8 string. Frank wired it per Tosin’s preferred setup, and I’d highly recommend giving that a shot first. All 5 positions are excellent, and the passive voices for 1,3,5 are great, too.

Admittedly, I’ve never tried any other wiring setups with it, and I really have no desire to do so. All bases are covered, and it’s laid out in an intuitive way.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
    X