banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSS Superstrat - bridge PU for 80's metal with Lil Screamin Demons in neck/middle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Superstrat - bridge PU for 80's metal with Lil Screamin Demons in neck/middle?

Obviously, the full size Screamin Demon bridge is an option. Custom? Distortion? I have a JB in my LP, so I'd prefer to get something else in this one.

Mahogany/rosewood if it helps.

The 2 obvious ones are a Custom and a Distortion. Both can do 80s tones, so pick the EQ & power level you need.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm leaning toward the Distortion mostly because this guitar will be for hotter stuff. I have a Les Paul with a JB/59 set and another with a Custom Shop Pearly Gates set, and a Strat with the Psychedelic Set. So I have classic rock to early hair metal covered.

This one will be a fire breather.

Comment

Both JB and Custom sound great with an A8 magnet. In fact, just installed a Custom 8 & Jazz neck pair today in a mahogany body ESP LTD, pretty happy with the result so far.
        Big A8 fan here :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
          Both JB and Custom sound great with an A8 magnet. In fact, just installed a Custom 8 & Jazz neck pair today in a mahogany body ESP LTD, pretty happy with the result so far.
          Big A8 fan here :-)
          Not saying A8's are bad as thats purely preference but A8 sure wasnt needed when the iconic tones of the 80s were made. Why not suggest stock pickups first? Then advocate for mag swaps if tweaking is required.

To the OP, Unless you are trying to push the input of a tube amp hard I think i would go custom over distortion. Though tons of great 80's tones can be had with the distortion.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
          X