New project idea: 4 pickups Tele style guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0091.JPG Views:	16 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	6061687

this works much better for me. having the switches so close would mess me up on stage all the time
    Jeremy's guitar looks like a much better idea. The thing I dislike about the Sawtooth guitar is the odd positioning of the bridge Humbucker, as it does not sound like a bridge humbucker is supposed to sound. Duplication of both single coil and humbucker middle pickups seems unnecessary, so I would rather choose a pickup configuration like Jeremy's. The only change I would consider is putting a Coolrails in the neck as it will have more balanced output level, and work well with 50ok controls.

I'm curious to know if Jeremy's guitar has effective 250k loading of the neck single coil, or if its using the same controls as the humbucker.

Comment

thats an antiquity II jaguar bridge pup in the neck (a5 flat pole), a paf type a2 bucker i wound, and a hot rails neck pup in the bridge. 250k volume and tone for the neck and bridge pups, tele style three way and push pull to put the hot rails in parallel. 500k volume for the bucker. the lp style toggle allows "singles"/both/humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        thats an antiquity II jaguar bridge pup in the neck (a5 flat pole), a paf type a2 bucker i wound, and a hot rails neck pup in the bridge. 250k volume and tone for the neck and bridge pups, tele style three way and push pull to put the hot rails in parallel. 500k volume for the bucker. the lp style toggle allows "singles"/both/humbucker.
        Thanks for the info. I've been considering a strat style guitar with a middle humbucker.

When you split the humbucker, is it possible to get a Strat-like quack when combining middle and neck pickups?

Comment

Everybody thinks of EVH when it comes to chopping up a guitar but Steve Morse needs credit for making many a guitarist mangle their guitars as well lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
            Everybody thinks of EVH when it comes to chopping up a guitar but Steve Morse needs credit for making many a guitarist mangle their guitars as well lol.
            Indeed...and he gets a lot out of his 4 pickup model, too. He constantly switches between settings, to where it sounds like a completely different guitar. His Tele above also, at times, held a synth pickup, too, so that's 5 pickups.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

Thanks for the info. I've been considering a strat style guitar with a middle humbucker.

When you split the humbucker, is it possible to get a Strat-like quack when combining middle and neck pickups?
              sorta, its a usable sound but doesnt sound like a good strat. with the placement of the middle bucker on mine, i split to the black stud coil. it quacks but it sounds different than a strat for sure. partially because of placement, partially construction. if it was an a5 magnet and closer towards the normal strat placement, it might be better but its still a split bucker.

Comment

Interesting video about swapping bridge-neck telecaster pickups:

#knowyourgear #sharpenmyaxe Here are some affiliate Links to gear In the order it appears in this video Stew Mac Golden Age Telecaster Pick ups https://www.s...

I think putting both in the middle would retain most of their sound and charateristics, adding more tonal versatility, plus two new pickups in regular neck and bridge position, with parallel-series switch, and all the possible combination between the 4, would turn out a great fun guitar to play with.

Now my next problem is to make a custom pickguard, since I don't think I will find anything, also I don't want to destroy the original one, because as far as I know there is very little or almost no aftermarket parts for these particular guitars. I'm thinking to take a cheap sheet of black plastic and use the original pickguard as template, then cut it by hand at the best I can with a precision hand arch saw (not sure about the proper term).

Comment

Originally posted by maup View Post
                  I think putting both in the middle would retain most of their sound and charateristics, adding more tonal versatility, plus two new pickups in regular neck and bridge position, with parallel-series switch, and all the possible combination between the 4, would turn out a great fun guitar to play with.
                  I have to add my comment about the effect of moving pickups between the neck, bridge and middle positions. Having the pickup in the middle makes it sound thinner, as its less bassy than in the neck position, but less highs than in the bridge position. So its tends to be a broad-mid sound. Anyway it is not the same sound as the same pickup in the bridge or neck positions. That is easily proven by the tone of the Stratocaster middle pickup. The pickup position is a large part of the sound.

There is a theoretical simulation of the effect of pickup position on the following link.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

I have to add my comment about the effect of moving pickups between the neck, bridge and middle positions. Having the pickup in the middle makes it sound thinner, as its less bassy than in the neck position, but less highs than in the bridge position. So its tends to be a broad-mid sound. Anyway it is not the same sound as the same pickup in the bridge or neck positions. That is easily proven by the tone of the Stratocaster middle pickup. The pickup position is a large part of the sound.

There is a theoretical simulation of the effect of pickup position on the following link.

Thanks for the web page, very interesting.

I agree with you and I know that same pickup in different positions give different tone.

Let me clear my own sentence from previous message.

Before I had the idea that swapping bridge-neck pickups would turn out to be a unusable guitar because of output difference and other reasons (I don't know why I had this idea). But I was wrong. Seems that, even with different tone due to the position, they will anyway produce interesting sounds.

So putting both in the middle would of course be different from original position but could give more options for using them alone or in combination with the others.

Comment

Working...
                    X