banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try Dimarzio PAF Masters or Air Classics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try Dimarzio PAF Masters or Air Classics?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I'm especially interested in the Air Classic neck, but can't seem to find useful online demos that showcase the pickup clean. Looking for a balanced PAF tone (cream bobbins), not too clean, not too hot, but still with character. I hear the Classics might fit the bill, but trying to figure out if they might be a bit too polite and single-coil like for me. Currently have the SD 59s, they are alright, but not for me.

i had an air classic neck and i liked it. a little less scooped than the 59

Comment

Dimarzio PAFs in general have a ton of character. Sometimes it can be too much. In your situation, it might be just right.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The Air Classics are some of their best offerings, IMO. Had a set in a PRS SE Singlecut Korina. Loved them in that. Might get another set for one of my HH Strats.

Comment

Check out this thread, particularly replies #6 and #9 thru #11.

I have only ever played the 36th set. Good set. A bit more in your face rock than I would always like though... I've heard whispers that the PAF 59 set is just plain jane PAF copy put in place to reinforce the dimarzio cream patent. The specs on them really don't make too much sense...
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Howdy,

Replaced a SD '59 (N) with an Air Classic in the neck of my old 335, which was an inherantly trebly Guitar. Always had difficulty getting that '59 Duncan neck dialed in, as it was boomy (Pretty much all treble and Bass). Problem solved with DiMarzio's Air classic in the neck. It's such a musical pickup and offers satisfying mids and surprising touch-sensitivity for a 'bucker. No complaints about the all treble and all bass '59 in the bridge, as it's EQ was perfectly good in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
            X