banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59/Custom 5 or Full Shred set for a Mahogany set neck guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom 5 or Full Shred set for a Mahogany set neck guitar?

Hi. I already own a JB/Jazz set in a Mahogany set neck guitar. For a second similar instrument, I'm looking for a lower output set with a different voice (a bit more relaxed in the mids and in the bass frequencies) that still remains clear, with great note separation though the gain spectrum. I've been considering these two combitations, but your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Full shred set would be great for the stated goals.

Comment

Full Shred has more treble than anything, while you will have a tight louder bass with the Hybrid.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post
        Hi. I already own a JB/Jazz set in a Mahogany set neck guitar. For a second similar instrument, I'm looking for a lower output set with a different voice (a bit more relaxed in the mids and in the bass frequencies) that still remains clear, with great note separation though the gain spectrum. I've been considering these two combitations, but your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        Have two sugestions in Mahogany.
        The Saturday Night Specials I really like in Mahogany. Very clean and articulate great cleans in a warmer guitar.
        Also may want to Look at the Perpetual Burn in the bridge as it is spot on what you describe in comparison to a JB and maybe something like a Whole Lotta Humbucker or the Slash neck. I'm running 2 one with singles and one with a Sentient in the neck. Love the PB with singles split but it's not balancing to my ear with the Sentient and needs something with a little softer attack and more sweet. The Hybrid I also love but it packs a big mid wallop so be aware.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Have two sugestions in Mahogany.
          The Saturday Night Specials I really like in Mahogany. Very clean and articulate great cleans in a warmer guitar.
          Also may want to Look at the Perpetual Burn in the bridge as it is spot on what you describe in comparison to a JB and maybe something like a Whole Lotta Humbucker or the Slash neck. I'm running 2 one with singles and one with a Sentient in the neck. Love the PB with singles split but it's not balancing to my ear with the Sentient and needs something with a little softer attack and more sweet. The Hybrid I also love but it packs a big mid wallop so be aware.
          Thanks a lot. The PB looks interesting, and yes, the Sentient seems to be a bit too "modern" for the PB. Maybe a 59 neck might be a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Full shred set would be great for the stated goals.
            Thanks. Those who use them, l9ve them very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Full Shred has more treble than anything, while you will have a tight louder bass with the Hybrid.
              I was actually thinking abouy pairig a '59 neck with a Custom 5 in the bridge. But now that you mention it, the '59/Custom hybrid seems interesting too.

Comment

Ive tried my full shred set in basswood and mahogany RGs. They work much better in mahogany.

They do scream in basswood though.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                  Ive tried my full shred set in basswood and mahogany RGs. They work much better in mahogany.

They do scream in basswood though.
                  Thanks. I've read that they are kind of "percussive".

Comment

The 59, Custom, Hybrids, or Custom 5 will all be relaxed mids, but bass thumpers.

Full shred set does what you want.

Jolly might recommend the Jazz set, neck and bridge.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks. I've read that they are kind of "percussive".
                      The Full Shreds are highs without much else, so they are really articulate. Good for muddier bodies, or when you really want to cut through. The Full Shred is best with at least Plexi-levels of distortion, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        The 59, Custom, Hybrids, or Custom 5 will all be relaxed mids, but bass thumpers.

Full shred set does what you want.

Jolly might recommend the Jazz set, neck and bridge.
                        Thanks. I've been trying to find a demo for the Jazz bridge model, but it's very hard to find one.

Comment

If you like the Jazz in the neck you might enjoy the Full Shred neck even more, possibly my favourite neck humbucker. I have it paired with a TB-5 in a mahogany FR guitar. To my ears it's a very versatile combo for high gain, they're both sitting a bit lower than average - ~3mm on low E and ~2.5mm on high E. I'm using a TS in front of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                            If you like the Jazz in the neck you might enjoy the Full Shred neck even more, possibly my favourite neck humbucker. I have it paired with a TB-5 in a mahogany FR guitar. To my ears it's a very versatile combo for high gain, they're both sitting a bit lower than average - ~3mm on low E and ~2.5mm on high E. I'm using a TS in front of the amp.
                            Thanks. Yes I love the JB/Jazz combo. I'm just looking for a "cleaner" set in a second guitar.

Comment

Thanks. Yes I love the JB/Jazz combo. I'm just looking for a "cleaner" set in a second guitar.
                              Absolutely the Full Shred, then.

Comment

Working...
                              X