STK4m Classic Stack Plus Strat (RWRP) Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STK4m Classic Stack Plus Strat (RWRP) Polarity

You'll have to excuse me if this is a basic question, but I'm new to this. I thought I had done my research but the polarity on the STK4m is the opposite of what I expected, and I'm hoping I'm just missing something and it's unique to stacked pickups.

From what I understand, the Seymour Duncan standard for normal pickups (except for a few) is counter-clockwise south up. RWRP is clockwise north up. Using a compass, I verified that the screw coil of the bridge humbucker is south up, as expected, and the slug coil (RWRP) is north up. The neck pickup (normal - not RWRP) is south up as expected. But the STK4m, which is supposed to be RWRP, is also south up according to the compass. I was expecting it to be north up. Is this correct? Will the stk4m, when split, properly pair with the middle pickup for hum cancellation?

STK S4 neck and STK S4 middle cancel hum when used together split, if that's what you're asking.
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

For what it's worth, the STK's sound great even without splitting. Makes the wiring nice and simple.

Comment

What are you pairing your STK-S4m with?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’d imagine it’s most important when combining with split bridge?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            What are you pairing your STK-S4m with?
            I'm planning to pair it with an SSL52n (using what I believe is your blog as a guide). Both the STK4m and the SSL52n have south up magnets. Is this normal or am I overthinking this?
            Last edited by Ron Garrison; 03-09-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

i just checked my stks4m and its south up, i checked the stks4n, stks4b, and stks9 and all were north up

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Garrison View Post

I'm planning to pair it with an SSL52n (using what I believe is your blog as a guide). Both the STK4m and the SSL52n have south up magnets. Is this normal or am I overthinking this?
                Oh cool! Yeah, I paired the STK-S4m in the neck with a Five Two in the bridge, and they cancelled hum just fine.

Comment

Yes. Its normal. Stack plus have opposite magnetic polarity relative to the other single coils. So middle pickup is south pole up magnetic. If you want a north pole up magnetisation, you need the neck version.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                    Yes. Its normal. Stack plus have opposite magnetic polarity relative to the other single coils. So middle pickup is south pole up magnetic. If you want a north pole up magnetisation, you need the neck version.
                    Was this done to make it similar to a Humbucker?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Was this done to make it similar to a Humbucker?
                      That would seem logical, but it would be much more helpful if the manufacturer specified the magnetic polarity as part of the product information.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So it has been confirmed that the STK-S4m is indeed South-Up, opposite of most of SD's other RWRP pickups. That being said, Dave (Mincer) says the the STK-S4m (when split) pairs with the SSL-52n (which is also South-Up) to cancel hum. So if that's true, there must be something about the split coil on the STK-S4m that causes it to act like a North-Up pickup even though it has South-Up magnets. Frankly I don't understand. I guess I'll just have to try it and see. I'll post my findings once I get the pickups installed.

Ron

Comment

Yes, that's what I did. So the top coil of the STK-4m (in the neck position) blends with the Five Two in the middle, and you get hum-cancelling. Using a Megaswitch, in position 3, it blends with one coil of the Hybrid, and you get hum-cancelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Yes, that's what I did. So the top coil of the STK-4m (in the neck position) blends with the Five Two in the middle, and you get hum-cancelling. Using a Megaswitch, in position 3, it blends with one coil of the Hybrid, and you get hum-cancelling.
                            To be clear, the "Five Two in the middle" is an SSL52-1n (standard wind/polarity) and not an SSL52-1m (RWRP) - correct?

Comment

Yes, standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X