Invader clone low E sounds too metallic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader clone low E sounds too metallic

Been struggling to figure this out and I just want to know if I did it right or if I need to change something. If I did it right I will just buy something different.

Question.. can i switch the bridge black and green wire where they are soldered? I dont understand why the two humbuckers are different. I thought the point was to have two coils in one spun opposite to cancel hum but this is like upside down and backwards to me that they are different like that.

I put the factory Ibanez infinity r humbuckers into my glarry strat with an HSH pickguard and used the stock middle pickup mixed in with it and I swear it sound better then the invader clone and it sucks lol. I just wanted something cooler looking with hopefully a better tone but all I got was more treble out of the low e string. I'm hoping I did something wrong. Waiting for another invader clone set but from a different seller. This time I ordered the white set for hsh. I'm sure they all come from the same factory but we will see. These will be going into my glarry strat. If none of this ever works out I will save and get the Seymour duncan sh6 more then likely but will be upset if the sound isn't $150 better. That's why I'm trying these clones first because all the review videos show how they sound the same as duncans...

Picture 1.. stock switch
    Picture 2.. my current wiring configuration
    picture 3.. the Ibanez 5 way configurations
    picture 4.. color code sheet from the manufacturer

..Pickups are the red invader clones off Amazon made by or sold by lovermusic.

..Ibanez grg131dx . The flat black one with the red pickguard.
    Last edited by Zombie 13X33; 03-10-2021, 02:38 PM.

"Hello Microsoft? Yeah, hi, i'm calling because I purchased a pirated copy of Windows 10 and I was hoping you could help me with getting it working?"
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

In instances like this, I can say that just because pickups look the same, doesn't mean that they sound the same. Genuine Invaders are worth the $$ to the people that like what they do- lots of output with a ton of mids. Color codes are not the same across pickup makers, and having pickups from different makers might result in phase issues.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a set of theses and I believe they are hooked up correctly but I did just try switching the black and green and it was super trebly so o switched it back. I just think they are cheap now and not that great sounding.

Comment

I'm not mixing brands or anything like that. It was just confusing to me that the polarities were different between the two. Definitely gonna get some sh6's and try this again some day when I can afford it. It just sucks the stock ones sounded better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            "Hello Microsoft? Yeah, hi, i'm calling because I purchased a pirated copy of Windows 10 and I was hoping you could help me with getting it working?"
            Hahaha basically right?

Comment

Oh and these happen to have the same color code as Seymour duncan

Comment

After doing some homework and some testing with my meter I found out the schematic they gave me was wrong. After rewiring it, the right way I no longer have any issues and it sounds great for a $20 set of pickups. I would definitely recommend these if you know how to do this stuff yourself. I now have a second set just siting because I originally thought the old ones were just messed up but since there not I decided to just leave them in and hold on to the new set I got. Although the new set is the red and black zebra style invader clones

Comment

Working...
                X