Trembucker Pegasus humbucker not fitting into my HSS Fender Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trembucker Pegasus humbucker not fitting into my HSS Fender Strat

I’m attempting to replace the stock humbucker in my HSS strat with a Seymour Duncan trembucker Pegasus. The back of the SD pickup, where you screw it in, isn’t as wide as the Fender pickup. What do I do now?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	160903202_10159194542001558_9195476706499387598_o.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6065023

Attached Files

Looks like the only solution is a new pick guard drilled properly to accommodate that pickup.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Yes, only the middle hole is threaded, the other 2 aren't and they don't line up with Fender's 2+1 mounting system. You can either drill a new hole in the pickguard for the center hole, or get a new pickguard.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mincer I cannot believe the SD pickup mount wouldn't be the same width as the Fender version. Why aren't these things standardized? I don't think it'll look attractive to drill another hole and I really don't want to go through soldering these pickups to a new pickguard. This is really frustrating.

Comment

Also, Seymour Duncan should claim which guitars their pickups fit. I was under the impression this would fit when I purchased it.

Comment

its fender that is doing wonky things with their 2+1 mounting. 90% of humbuckers use two screws, even many new fenders. easiest thing to do is drill a new hole between the two but if you dont want to do that, youll need a new pickguard. there are no direct replacements for the new fender 2+1 out there as far as i know

Comment

Originally posted by RyanQ3L View Post
              Also, Seymour Duncan should claim which guitars their pickups fit. I was under the impression this would fit when I purchased it.
              Then they would be liable if they were incorrect, or if other companies changed their specs and Seymour Duncan weren’t aware or didn’t change their information.

When I buy tyres for my car, I don’t expect the tyre manufacturer to tell me every make and model that their products do and don’t fit, I check the specs.

Comment

CaptainWhizz I checked the specs, the specs said yes. They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanQ3L View Post
                  CaptainWhizz I checked the specs, the specs said yes. They were wrong.
                  Would you care to quote them?

Comment

It is a little frustrating, but your options are to drill a hole, get a new pickguard, put the original pickup back in, or be pissed off that you have a guitar in pieces.

I’d go with whichever of those is gonna cause the least heartache. Ran into the same issue with a TB-5 and a Mexican HSS Strat a year or so ago. I opted to drill the hole.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

An advantage of a new pickguard is, if you ever sell the guitar you can always put the untouched old pickguard and factory pickups back in it. Aftermarket pickups, although they cost more, typically add nothing to a guitars value. The rare exception is if the buyer prefers that aftermarket pickup.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just spoke with Seymour Duncan, they are aware of this issue but don't advertise it. I told the customer service agent they should have this disclaimer on their website. Their trembuckers don't line up correctly with certain Fenders.

Comment

You should be able to unbolt the pots and switch and not have to rewire the whole guitar if you chose to go the new pick guard route. You may be able to re-drill and live with the result or "modify/customize the area with tape. Red / White / Black come to mind.
                          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Drill a middle hole
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I think Fender is the only company making pickups with 2+1 mounting. You'd have the same issues with DiMarzio, EMG, and Fishman, and all of the replacement pickup companies. I have no idea why Fender went with something that was clearly an established standard, other than the either believe no one would want to upgrade their pickups, or if you do, you'd get another Fender pickup.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X