Someone asked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone asked me

Would the Duncan Custom Shop do a JB wind on double cream DiMarzio bobbins?

I had no idea, but the concept is hilarious.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

I'm confident the Custom Shop would do it as a Seymourized rewind.

Is this the lengths one has to go to for double cream Duncan's these days?

Gone are the days of Shop Floor Custom double cream under covers then remove the covers. Can the Custom Shop still do this? If not there is the buy a Zebra JB and a Reverse Zebra JB then make your own. Are there other options? I'm curious.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Would the Duncan Custom Shop do a JB wind on double cream DiMarzio bobbins?

I had no idea, but the concept is hilarious.
      I doubt it, but ask.

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
      I'm confident the Custom Shop would do it as a Seymourized rewind.

Is this the lengths one has to go to for double cream Duncan's these days?

Gone are the days of Shop Floor Custom double cream under covers then remove the covers. Can the Custom Shop still do this? If not there is the buy a Zebra JB and a Reverse Zebra JB then make your own. Are there other options? I'm curious.
      I don't think there are any options, but you can always ask.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I don't think there are any options, but you can always ask.
        My Custom/Jazz set is from the era when they could still be done as covered Shop Floor Customs. I just had to take the covers off.

Custom/Jazz
        Click image for larger version  Name:	96_epi_cla.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	5818520

But this is no longer an option.

If whoever asked ICTGoober has a DiMarzio they aren't using, I can't imagine why the Custom Shop wouldn't rewind it as a JB.

We all know it will sound better after a Seymourized rewind!!! ...I kid...I kid...

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

We all know it will sound better after a Seymourized rewind!!! ...I kid...I kid...
          Actually.... You are probably right. I haven't bought a DiMarzio pickup since the 80's.... Not even a used one. Some of my clients provide them for their own use, but I don't stock them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Actually.... You are probably right. I haven't bought a DiMarzio pickup since the 80's.... Not even a used one. Some of my clients provide them for their own use, but I don't stock them at all.
            Technically the only DiMarzio's I've ever purchased came in guitars.

There was an Evolution in the bridge of my mutt '81 Lead II before MJ wound me an X-1 replacement.

And there's a Super D in the bridge and I can't remember the neck in my Destroyer RI I got from Jeff B .

Click image for larger version

Name:	DestroyerRIsmall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	5810889
            Last edited by JamesPaul; 03-20-2021, 08:40 PM. Reason: Added my Destroyer pick

Comment

they used to. i have a double cream dimarzio steve morse bridge pup the cs rewound for me to some 17k a5 thing

Comment

I was under the impression they'd do double cream duncans too? Something like can't advertise or market mass production ready made, but can make to order?
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I think the Custom Shop will rewind any pickup you send.
                  They discount if rewinding a Duncan, but beyond that I don't think it makes a difference.
                  Trademark restrictions don't apply to repairs. Car dealers can service any brand regardless of whether they can sell them new.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                    I was under the impression they'd do double cream duncans too? Something like can't advertise or market mass production ready made, but can make to order?
                    SD used to be able to do these as a Shop Floor Custom, but the pickup still had to have a cover on it. If you took the cover off, then you had double cream. This is no longer an option. If you check the SFC page:

2. Bobbin color. For standard-spaced humbuckers only. You can choose from any combination (except Double Crème) or single color from the following: Black, White, Crème, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green.

The question is whether the Custom Shop can do double cream under a cover? As Mincer noted, we need to call the CS and ask.

Again, you can always buy a Zebra and a Reverse Zebra and make your own double cream.

Getting back to the OP, I still see no reason the Custom Shop would not rewind a double cream DiMarzio as a JB.

At least rewind it to JB specs as much as possible. It would still have the DiMarzio baseplate, spacers and bobbins. Maybe for some extra $$$ they can perform an exorcism to keep the DiMarzio components from ruining the JB's tone. Again...I kid...i kid...

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

SD used to be able to do these as a Shop Floor Custom, but the pickup still had to have a cover on it. If you took the cover off, then you had double cream. This is no longer an option. If you check the SFC page:

2. Bobbin color. For standard-spaced humbuckers only. You can choose from any combination (except Double Crème) or single color from the following: Black, White, Crème, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green.

The question is whether the Custom Shop can do double cream under a cover? As Mincer noted, we need to call the CS and ask.

Again, you can always buy a Zebra and a Reverse Zebra and make your own double cream.

Getting back to the OP, I still see no reason the Custom Shop would not rewind a double cream DiMarzio as a JB.

At least rewind it to JB specs as much as possible. It would still have the DiMarzio baseplate, spacers and bobbins. Maybe for some extra $$$ they can perform an exorcism to keep the DiMarzio components from ruining the JB's tone. Again...I kid...i kid...
                      But isn't "single color: creme" pretty much the same, semantics aside?
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

But isn't "single color: creme" pretty much the same, semantics aside?
                        I think the DiMarzio trademark is specifically two (i.e. a humbucker) creme bobbins.

Comment

I think the DiMarzio trademark is specifically two (i.e. a humbucker) creme bobbins.
                          Just my opinion, but the mental midget at the Patent Office who approved this should have been shot. Larry DiMarzio could NOT have seriously described how two coils the same color could be significantly different than coils of differing colors to someone with functioning gray matter? Maybe he just bribed the guy?

Of course, I remember reading that there were 17 patents assigned to humbucking pickups after Seth Lover submitted his. How did that happen?

You really have to wonder what the hell the qualifications are to get a patent clerk job, or how to become the person who determines those qualifications......

Comment

Double cream bobbins are a trademark, not a patent.

Comment

Which adds insult to injury because as long as DiMarzio protects/defends it, it will never expire.

Comment

Working...
                              X