Microphonic P-Rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphonic P-Rail?

I've had a guitar with a set of P-Rails sitting around for a few years, and after getting a new guitar decided to transplant them.

Everything's working fine now, but I've noticed the bridge seems to be somewhat microphonic. Tapping on the pickup's cover with a plastic pick comes through the amp clearly as a metallic echo, whereas doing the same to the neck pickup is silent.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did paint the pickup covers with the pole pieces removed, so a bit of spray may have gotten in, but I can't imagine that would have caused it?

At any rate, is re-potting my only option? I've heard that you can sometimes use a heat gun to get the existing wax to re-flow, but have no idea whether this is effective (or safe). Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: just to clarify my diagnosis, the pickup isn't doing any squealing or such. I noticed it first because on any staccato notes, you get quite a loud sound of metallic reverberation from the bridge even after the strings still stop. Tapping the guitar body can be heard very clearly through the amp as well. The neck pickup doesn't have any of these symptoms.
    Last edited by SpiderVenom; 03-23-2021, 10:51 PM.
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

If it were mine, I would probably start with the heat gun and proceed from there.

I had a similar problem with a Custom Custom that I flipped the magnet in.

Good luck!

Comment

I actually wouldn't mind that as long as it isn't squealing. That's one of the reasons people love the Seth Lover and Antiquities- they are microphonic like that. It is a big bonus if your technique and sound depends a lot on dynamics.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I actually wouldn't mind that as long as it isn't squealing. That's one of the reasons people love the Seth Lover and Antiquities- they are microphonic like that. It is a big bonus if your technique and sound depends a lot on dynamics.
        I can actually understanding the appeal, and it's not necessarily intrusive when playing. My problem is just that I do a lot of staccato stuff with gain, and it's basically impossible to get a decent mute because I can only stop the strings, not the resonance of the bridge etc.

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
        If it were mine, I would probably start with the heat gun and proceed from there.

I had a similar problem with a Custom Custom that I flipped the magnet in.

Good luck!
        Thanks, I'll give that a try. Funny thing is that I've swapped magnets in several humbuckers and never had them go microphonic... then I get it in this pickup that I've hardly even glanced at
        Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

Working...
        X