Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement for burstbucker pro in 2019 les paul standard

Hello,
    I am still looking for a replacement bridge pickup. Lower string pwerchords are a little flubby. tried to get an Arcane Inc 13 but couldn't. Any comparable suggestions. I Know this is a Duncan site but anyone have opinion on Bareknuckle Rebel Yell? Or a Duncan comparable. Thanks,

The Duncan '59 bridge will have a better low end than the BB pro. The Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge is one you may like even more than the '59.

Those two are *reasonably* the closest Duncans I can think of.
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I'd go for a Custom, and never have lower string problems again. There's a solid low end, there (with a great high end, too).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'll go with Custom/59 hybrid. Closer to the BB Pro zone, still no flub.

Unless you want all out high output ceramic tight. In which case, Custom it is!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by redsparkleLP View Post
          Hello,
          I am still looking for a replacement bridge pickup. Lower string pwerchords are a little flubby. tried to get an Arcane Inc 13 but couldn't. Any comparable suggestions. I Know this is a Duncan site but anyone have opinion on Bareknuckle Rebel Yell? Or a Duncan comparable. Thanks,
          I don’t know what an Arcane 13 or Rebel Yell sound like, but to keep a Burstbucker Pro top end but tighten the bottom end in a Les Paul, my first thought is a Whole Lotta Humbucker. My second thought is a 59 with a UOA5 magnet (it’s a $5-7 mod that takes less than a minute to do.). Moving out from there, other options I would use are: could try a Seth, it’s the same EQ curve of a Burstbucker, but much cleaner and natural sounding. Pearly Gates is a good option, but the top end will be brighter. Brobucker is also a similar EQ as a Burstbucker but clear, doesn’t have as much of a mid peak as a Seth or Burstbucker, but it’s still there in terms of chime and a mid ‘voice.’

Comment

I really like the Saturday Night Specials in a mahogany neck and body 24.75 scale guitar a lot. Very clear and defined really nail that classic rock tone. Would do a full set as they are pretty different totally and feel wise with the A4 mags. Have had 2 sets wish I had pulled the set from one guitar I sold as like these a LOT in a fat sounding guitar like a Paul!!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I have a set of Rebel Yells and I like them a lot. Mine are in an Explorer; I think they'd do great in a Les Paul.

This bridge would be slightly hotter than your BB Pro. While the extra output might give you a tad more breakup, it isn't tubby at all.
              RY bridge has a relatively tight response without feeling stiff. An unusual combination IMO.
              Punchy & crisp, yet there's enough body to chunk well when you want - it's bright, not thin.

Has a great singing lead tone. Also cleans up quite nicely for a medium output humbucker.

Fast attack and strong presence stand up well in a mix, keeping it well-defined at gain and helping the cleanup too I think.
              Very touch-responsive: can deliver vintagey flavor if you treat it gently, but when approached more aggressively it gets fierce.

Neck pickup in the Rebel Yell set is pretty awesome too.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  I have a set of Rebel Yells and I like them a lot. Mine are in an Explorer; I think they'd do great in a Les Paul.

This bridge would be slightly hotter than your BB Pro. While the extra output might give you a tad more breakup, it isn't tubby at all.
                  RY bridge has a relatively tight response without feeling stiff. An unusual combination IMO.
                  Punchy & crisp, yet there's enough body to chunk well when you want - it's bright, not thin.

Has a great singing lead tone. Also cleans up quite nicely for a medium output humbucker.

Fast attack and strong presence stand up well in a mix, keeping it well-defined at gain and helping the cleanup too I think.
                  Very touch-responsive: can deliver vintagey flavor if you treat it gently, but when approached more aggressively it gets fierce.

Neck pickup in the Rebel Yell set is pretty awesome too.
                  Ok, now I have some more gas again

Comment

What Mincer and Aceman said!
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Plenty of good suggestions already, so I'll just say pretty much anything you pick is going to be better. BB Pro bridge is probably my least favorite pickup. The neck was tolerable, but it's pretty low on my list too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I'll go with Custom/59 hybrid. Closer to the BB Pro zone, still no flub.

Unless you want all out high output ceramic tight. In which case, Custom it is!
                        well it looks like the Custom 59 hybrid with its strong midrange is what I am looking for. And the reason the custom scares me a little is the scooped midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by redsparkleLP View Post

well it looks like the Custom 59 hybrid with its strong midrange is what I am looking for. And the reason the custom scares me a little is the scooped midrange.
                          I have a Custom and Custom/59, both in Les Paul styles.

The Custom has a big thumping tight bass, mids, and a screaming high - very "ceramic" style, hot, and hard rock/metal, while still in a sense, something of an ultra PAF

The Custom/59 still has a tight bass, and great highs, but not as "ultra" not as hot, and the mids are more prominent. Much more close to a PAF IMO. But more sporty.

I think the perceived difference with the Custom is due to the volume of the bass/treble, vs an actual lack of mids. Custom is loud period, just really loud in the bass and treble.

Now - if you want to take mids away, that is the Custom 5. Super-scoop mid-subtraction going on there.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I concur with Aceman - the Custom is not scooped sounding to me. Some may have conflated it with the Custom5, which can sound pretty scooped but also can be a great match for guitars with an excessively midrangey natural voice. It worked really well for me in a midrangey PRS SE.

I too think the Custom/59 Hybrid would be a great option here.

Still love the Rebel Yell though. Same DCR as the Custom series, but less compressed.
                            Bareknuckle has a real knack for with humbuckers that are wound fairly hot yet don't feel overwound.
                            The downside is that they're quite pricey here in the States.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Both the Custom and the 59/Custom Hybrid have a scooped midrange...about the same, actually. If you want a strong midrange, neither of them would be a good choice. Look at either a Custom Custom or Black Winter.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X