squier Jazzmaster/P90 hybrid...magnet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squier Jazzmaster/P90 hybrid...magnet question

Probably not something anyone will know unless they have done this but maybe some with a tone of experience messing with magnets will have some idea. These pickups are called jazzmasters but they are more p90 because they have bar magnets and screw poles. Coil is more JM tho because they are even thinner. In any case, they do not respond well to old school volume pot fiddling. With other fenders i can roll the volume down with a pretty healthy degree of amp OD and still get very clean at 4-5. These, while not wound very hot (about 8k line a typical gibby P90) act hot and using the same amount of amp OD they don't clean up near as well. I use treble bleeds on all my guitars including this one. Tone control is unhooked too. But i can turn it down to the point it's too low to even be usable and it's still somewhat dirty. It;'s just a very un dynamic pickup. Called fender and according to them the magnets, 2 per pickup ala P90, are A5. So they should clean up nice with A5 but they don't. Heres my question....i have heard of removing one magnet per pickup and in fact i tried that once with a regular P90 and it was not good. But thats a very different sounding pickup that cleaned up beautifully and lots of chime. I'd just try it on these if not for the JM design where the magnets are glued to the pickup bottom. No metal plate holding them in place like a P90. So before i consider doing that, anyone done this to these pickups or have a very educated guess at whether it would help to make them more responsive to volume roll off and dynamics? By the way, i put a 500k pot in it which helped but they still have a very congested low and low mid and while they clean up a bit better still not good. I may just buy some real JMs but i want to exhaust all possibilities b4 i spend $100 more on a 400 buck guitar.

That’s just going to make the pickup sound weak. And those are on the low end for a P-90.

What value pots does it have? And what’s the taper of the pots?

Did you put the treble bleed in? The usual treble bleed with a parallel resistor that works with a 250k pot will act like an on/off switch with a 500k pot. It just gets a little lower and shuts off. You don’t get a gradual taper.

Either way, it’s not the pickups. It’s the volume pot and/or treble bleed circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X