Thinking about getting an Epiphone Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting an Epiphone Explorer

Any comments on this guitar for heavy metal? I've never picked one up so I don't know how they feel or how they would balance in your lap. Can you point me in the direction of a wiring diagram?

I think it is a great choice, actually. But you have to specify which Explorer for a diagram. They were wired a few different ways depending on the model.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Personally, I'm a fan of the Explorer shape. I don't own the Epi, but have a couple Gibsons with that profile. I find it balanced and comfortable. The lack of a top horn seems to sit better without any tummy cut and doesn't interfere with either fret access or strumming or movement of my right arm. The large body extension under the arm is a perfect arm rest. My first guitar almost was an Explorer, was the best sounding Gibson on the wall, but that particular one had a ground buzz problem, so I went with a Les Paul. I know better now, but...

I would just look at the Gibson wiring diagrams, unless you are looking at something with some custom number of pickups and/or coil split switches, etc.

Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-09-2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

80's Metal has an Epiphone Lizzy Hale that seems to be in his hands every time I see a picture of him. The guitar is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
          I've never picked one up so I don't know how they feel or how they would balance in your lap.
          All I can add, is that the bottom half isn't all that different from my Ibby Iceman. And I'm surprised by how well it sits in my lap. I bet it will be fine.

Comment

I like the Explorer design. Yes it's long, but it balances well and is pretty ergonomic overall.
            Explorers also generally have a big, full tone - I've never encountered one that sounded thin.

Nearly all of them use two volume controls, a master tone and a three-way toggle switch, just like most Flying Vees.

This Vee diagram would apply - the switch on an Explorer is further away but it's wired exactly the same.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

New or used? If new you have some really nice options for metal, like the Prophecy Extura or the Brendon Small Ghost Horse.

Comment

American Musical Supply sells them new in Korina and Musicians's Friend has black. Where could I get a white pickguard for one?

Comment

I've owned two, and they kicked ass. Go for it!
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

AMS has the korina, black w white pickguard and an exclusive olive drag green which I really dig
                    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400
                    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                      AMS has the korina, black w white pickguard and an exclusive olive drag green which I really dig
                      I miss the Explorer I used to have now after looking at these... The only Explorer in stock currently at AMS is the Ebony one. And it comes with Probuckers, Grovers, and CTS pots... G.A.S.

Comment

The Jason Hook Epiphone came with a JB and 59 IIRC, which would be good for metal. Discontinued though, plus the paint job is a matter of taste.
                        As already mentioned, the Prophecy and the Ghost Horse are good, current choices.

Comment

I checked the Epis out over at AMS - that olive drab is really unusual, very very cool.

Ghost Horse is an awesome model,especially for only a hundred dollars more.
                          Floyd Rose, contoured neck heel, 24-fret, real ebony board, and Burstbuckers. Satin neck & back too.
                          Could be the perfect Explorer for metal if only it didn't look so lame. Wish it came in solid colors instead of that quasi-silverburst.
                          The top even looks poorly matched. They're using veneer, for Pete's sake - it shouldn't be difficult to make the thing look good.

I'd even think about buying one to refin. IMO that guitar would absolutely slay in olive drab. Or satin black. Or white, or red.
                          Or a better sunburst - cherryburst or iced tea. Even grey primer would look better than what's on there.
                          Only my opinion, of course.

~

I have an older Epi korina myself. (Not sure what year they actually launched the korina series.) Mine's a '98.
                          White pickguard. Rosewood board rather than pau ferro as used on newer ones. Not technically a '58 reissue.

One thing I find very disappointing in the Epi "reissues" is they all have ordinary slim necks, not chunky ones.
                          No long-tenon neck joints, either, except for the Bonamassa "Amos" Vee. At Epi's price level that's forgivable.
                          But IMO they should've used a proper vintage neck profile for all of the '58 reissues. AFAIK only the Amos got that.
                          (I'm sure Joe specified that. But I also wouldn't be at all surprised to learn somebody tried to talk him out of it.)

Anyway, mine plays pretty much as well as my Gibson. Slightly heavier, perhaps a tad less lively. The Epi bodies are korina but they're multi-piece, with veneer covering the top and back. Doesn't show, unless you examine the sides looking for seams.

My Epi might even sustain a bit better than the Gibby. Still, my Gibson has a Vibrola and heavier tuners so it isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Fretwork and finish are fine. The tinted poly on mine is quite thick; I've sometimes said it looks almost as if it were dipped rather than sprayed.
                          No doubt today's finishes look less like Lucite.

Overall, the guitar plays well, sounds big and looks great. (Edit: Big dent at lower right corner is not Epiphone's fault...)

Here's mine, apologies for crummy cellphone pic:

and the Gibson:

Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 04-09-2021, 11:28 PM.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                          X