No announcement yet.

New guy needs pickup suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two epiphone sg. One with dimarzio DP103 and a SD, and the second one with a vintage blues set. I am pretty happy with both of them, different vibe but they rock. The 59n has known as boomy expecially if in the neck slot of a les paul. I wired it with a 500k audio taper pot and a .22mf cap. I have to say that it's not boomy at all (while I had to replace the mag in the 59 I have in one of my les paul to cure it). But even the jazz is boomy I think there something we don't consider....

Comment

Something of a crazy answer here, but possibly a Stag Mag with a push-pull knob for coil split? That'll give you basically a single-coil neck pickup in a humbucker route.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        Did I understand right: you wired the .047 in series with the neck pickup and there is still too much bass?
        Yes sir. Followed Seymour's wiring diagram with the .047 cap wired at the toggle switch and it really made no difference. I
        Last edited by Vics53; 04-20-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vics53 View Post
          Yes sir. Followed Seymour's wiring diagram with the .047 cap wired at the toggle switch and it really made no difference. I
          This mod cut frequency under 70 hertz. If you have .022 or a .033 or even another .047 uF cap you can go up. Wire the .022 or the .033 instead of the .047.
          If you have just another .047 uF, you have to wire both behind each other. Looks funny but give you .0235 uF.
          Last edited by hamerfan; 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            This mod cut frequency under 70 hertz. If you have .022 or a .033 or even another .047 uF cap you can go up. Wire the .022 or the .033 instead of the .047.
            If you have just another .047 uF, you have to wire both behind each other. Looks funny but give you .0235 uF.
            Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to dig through my batch of caps and see if I have a .022 or a .033 to put in place of the .047 cap I used.

Comment

the low e on a std tuned guitar is like 82 hz right?

Comment

What are you playing through? Pickups are never a magic bullet fix, and I've never heard the Jazz described as boomy, something going on here.

Comment

Working...
                X