MINCER,,,A Quick SH-4 Wiring Question, yes, quick,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MINCER,,,A Quick SH-4 Wiring Question, yes, quick,,

Greetings again,, I came across a pickguard with a single SH-4 H'bucker connected to a single push/pull pot that when 'up', activates only the inside, North coil, but I want to swap it so the Bridge side coil is active...
    Never owned a push/pull, but the RED & WHITE are tied & attached, & the GREEN & BARE likewise, & the Black going off by itself to ground. So, in short, what would my 'new' wiring look like?
    Also, what (if doable) would the pup sound like having the coils parallel? But I'm getting ahead of myself,,, But, keeping things on the simple, I'm seeking something/anything outside of the 'full-on' & single coil options. I could & would, w/proper guidance, entertain a toggle switch, or am I overthinking 'it'?
    Best regards, & thnx in advance!!
    Bored in So. Fla~ Click image for larger version  Name:	20210421_030325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	6075547

if you get an on/on/on dpdt switch you can have series/split/parallel

do to what you are asking, flip the black and green wires. keep the bare where it is

Comment

FWIW, bare is a shield, it should always go to ground. From what I can make out of the picture, yes, reverse the black and green wires as Jeremy said.
      Last edited by devastone; 04-21-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

YOU GUYS ROCK!! But Jeremy, would that new on/on/on dpdt switch replace my existing push/pull, leaving me with just a Volume & the new switch, AND in the new split option, assume I can choose which coil to solo, correct? Can you link me to that switch somewhere online?
        Thnx, Kenny
        Last edited by zozoe; 04-21-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

you could use your volume control p/p as a phase switch to choose which coil was active in split mode!

Comment

While I'm not as cool as Jeremy, here you go - https://guitarelectronics.com/electr...mini-switches/

Comment

Sorry, I just saw this, but looks like you are in great hands.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, I am, Mincer!! Being informative, is as cool as one gets, even if it's wrong, as in the end, it all helps BIGtime~ But Jeremy, being that the P/P is just 2 positions, assume you're implying that I'd surrender the 'full on' option? And is that where the on/on/on switch comes in? AND while I've hot your ears, ANY schematic or in words, how I might put a tone in the circuit? Tho' I'm very intuitive & good at following diagrams and/or direction w/this stuff, sometimes it's hard for me do clear my head, & logically plot it out w/o a push in the right direction....
                Yer' all very cool!!
                Last edited by zozoe; 04-21-2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Ya know, I see ALL the options on Guitarelectronics.com...
                  cool~

Comment

with a p/p pot your choices are series/split or series/parallel. a p/p pot is a on/on dpdt switch. if you use a on/on/on mini switch you can get series/split/parallel. in both these cases, you must choose which coil you want active when you split and wire it that way. you get one or the other and cannot switch between them. if you put the on/on/on switch in the guitar and wire as suggested then you could use the p/p pot as a phase switch which will let you select which coil is active when split

some of the schematics arent working so i cant link to the one im talking about. adding a tone control is very easy once you have a hole for the control. one pot, one cap, and a bit of wire

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...H_1V_mtSSP.jpg

Comment

Great help, cool one!! Great stuff,,, And how about a schematic for a on/on/on AND a tone?
                      Thnx again~

Comment

i didnt see one and dont have the ability to make one easily but you should be able to figure out how to add the tone from the second diagram. theres one wire from the volume control, the rest is grouding

Comment

Yer' right,,, NEVER underestimate the admitted unknow'r

Comment

So guys, before this slips away on me,, forget the tone for now, but as JEREMY mentioned, to have an on/on/on, then to use the PP as a coil selector, I need a SCHEMATIC for this... ANYone?
                            thnx in advance all!!

Comment

The easiest, most elegant way to do that is with a Triple Shot ring. The diagram Jeremy posted can do series/split/parallel with an on/on/on 3 way.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X