banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tele bridge pickup tone knob issue. I'm stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele bridge pickup tone knob issue. I'm stumped.

I've got a Squier tele thinline in front of me. The neck pickup works just like I'd expect, and the volume and tone pot work properly. When I switch to the bridge pickup it's extremely thin sounding but still present, when I roll the tone knob off there's almost no volume at all. Does this sound like an issue with the bridge pickup?

Sounds more like an issue with wiring. A Thinline has individual vol/tone controls. Is there any chance you left a "zero" off of the bridge tone cap? In other words, .22 instead of .022? Or .33/.47, instead of .033/.047?

Comment

This particular Squier has one volume and one tone, and a standard 3 way blade switch. I've wired a lot of telecasters up before, and this looks pretty standard under the pickguard. But never come across this problem before. I just had it in to set up and dress the frets, so I haven't done anything with the wiring, (I did try swapping the cap to an .022 orange drop cap I had on hand, but no difference.) I don't think my customer has realized anything is amiss.
      Last edited by conorsearl; 04-23-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by conorsearl View Post
        I've got a Squier tele thinline in front of me. The neck pickup works just like I'd expect, and the volume and tone pot work properly. When I switch to the bridge pickup it's extremely thin sounding but still present, when I roll the tone knob off there's almost no volume at all. Does this sound like an issue with the bridge pickup?
        Hello,

Check the DCR of the pickups from the output jack with a multimeter.
        If the bridge pickup gives no reading or if it exhibits an extremely high series resistance, here is most probably the origin of the issue:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...63#post6038763

A faulty wiring can certainly explain such a problem so check the wiring firstly, of course. My answer is meaningful only if the problem doesn't come from something else than the PU, obviously...
        Last edited by freefrog; 04-24-2021, 12:34 AM.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Yup, it was a dead pickup.

Comment

Working...
          X