banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Tele Pickup Bobbin Material & Coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Tele Pickup Bobbin Material & Coating?

All these years I have wondered what the bobbin materials were made from and if it was finished with a lacquer, etc? Since I don't have a vintage Tele/Esquire in my arsenal these days I have nothing to go by but my memories of guitars past. My Esquire's Antiquity pickup appears to have a clear, hard (not soft like wax) coating of some sort on the top, whereas the JD in my Tele is the same material but natural & unfinished. I realize there are obviously differences between the Custom Shop and Pro Shop pickups, so it is mainly the construction of the vintage pickups are am wondering about.

The bobbin material appears to be a black fiberboard of some sort. What material were/are they made of?

Also, were the original vintage ones sprayed with a clear coat of lacquer before or after the pickup was assembled? Dipped in wax before or after, then shot with lacquer to prevent melting?

The string around the 50's pickup's coils look black and coated? Was the string black and dipped in wax after assembly? The 60's pickups appear to have white string and not coated?

The material is forbon, which is black fiberboard. The bobbin is dipped in lacquer before it’s wound.

It’s the same material new Fender pickups are made from.

After it was wound it was wrapped with twine and dipped in wax mixed with lamp black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X