banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lollar Blondes or Fralin or Antiquity/Area58 after all? // Blackface as benchmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lollar Blondes or Fralin or Antiquity/Area58 after all? // Blackface as benchmark

I know, I know - impossible to answer... But for lack of YouTube videos, I'm trying to get some anecdotal feedback from Lollar and/or Fralin owners.

I own Lollar Blackfaces in a Warmoth Strat and I LOVE them. I just sold the Texas Specials from my Fender MIA 2003 Strat and I'm thinking of something just slightly less aggressive/Texas/hot and a tiny bit more airy/clear/open. Lollar Blondes are an obvious choice. But what about Fralin Hot Vintage or Fralin Blues Special Strat in comparison?

Just FYI - SD Antiquity 2's and DiMarzio Area 58 are also awesome but I don't think they're not as close to what I'm looking for as both Blonde and Blackface. Or would you disagree?

i think the antiquity II pups are just what i want in an early 60s style strat pup. if you want something lower output than your lollar bf, then they probably arent different enough from what you have. i love the fralin vintage hots, but again, they are fairly similar to your bf pups. the blues specials are a little meatier but also great. the fralin real 54 are a little different and might suit you if you didnt wanna get the lollar blondes

Comment

Just did the Antiquity II Retrospect set for my Washburn Silverado Strat and really like this set up. It's pretty spot on what you describe glassy airy clear but also has some attitude when you need it. I went with the slightly overwound Custom bridge that is standard with the Retrospect set for a little more fat and output in the bridge. Have run several other sets (SSL 1 neck and middle SSL 5 bridge, Texas Hots, Alnico II pro neck and middle Texas Hot bridge, Dimarzion Blue Velvet's ect) and really really like this set up. Looked hard at a couple of the Fralin sets and played guitars with them. Came down to the Antiquity II set of Fralin Blues set and went with the Surfer !!'s no regrets at all. We did tone neck and bridge only and 300K on the volume this set up kills!!
      Through my Boogie F 30 head live.

Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm very happy with the Fralin Vintage Hots, which aren't actually hot.
        Still a decidedly vintage feel, just a tad more body.
        Nice definition and air.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Antiquity IIs into a blackface Deluxe is about the most iconic Strat sound I've ever heard. It is everything I'd want to hear in a classic Strat sound.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Antiquity IIs into a blackface Deluxe is about the most iconic Strat sound I've ever heard. It is everything I'd want to hear in a classic Strat sound.
            Sweet! Surfer or Texas?

Comment

The Surfers have that sound. The Texas ones are a little bit hotter.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X