I just ordered a switch with wires plus a pot harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just ordered a switch with wires plus a pot harness

The wiring harness with the pots comes attached to a metal plate or shield. If I choose to remove that when installing the new pots in my Les Paul do I have to run a ground wire across all 4 pots then? And if I choose to keep the shield in place I don't have to run a ground wire?

This is what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/32459375547...sAAOSwMNxXaa0p

Comment

And this switch assembly: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16249537399...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

Yeah, all 4 pots would need to be grounded, connected together.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
          The wiring harness with the pots comes attached to a metal plate or shield. If I choose to remove that when installing the new pots in my Les Paul do I have to run a ground wire across all 4 pots then? And if I choose to keep the shield in place I don't have to run a ground wire?
          In theory you are correct, but a lot of people don't trust the pots to stay attached to the metal plate. So they run a ground wire across all 4 pots even with the metal plate in place.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

In theory you are correct, but a lot of people don't trust the pots to stay attached to the metal plate. So they run a ground wire across all 4 pots even with the metal plate in place.
            Won't this create a ground loop?

Comment

You don't connect them in a loop with the wire.

I assume that is why the OP wrote "across" instead of around.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

Won't this create a ground loop?
                While I've adjusted my position on eddy currents, there are still no ground loops in a guitar. That's something that occurs with two "powered" devices that sit at some distance from each other. Like a car head unit and a trunk mounted amp.

Comment

If you look at the photo of the pot harness I ordered you do not see a black ground wire connecting the two pots on the far left. Do I need to add a wire there to connect those two pots or do I just leave it alone?

Comment

I just watched a YouTube video and it appears that the ground wire coming from the toggle switch can be soldered directly to the metal braid of one of the braided wires coming from the switch. So I guess that has already been done for me.

My only remaining question I think is when I look at my Duncan wiring diagram there is a bridge ground wire being shown that is soldered to one of the tone pots and it looks like it extends to the bridge volume pot, but I don't know where the other end of this bridge ground wire is going. Maybe it's screwed into the cavity somewhere?

Comment

I posted a diagram in your other post in the "Guitar Shop." I didn't see your "switch" link at that time, but I think it's self-explanatory.

Comment

Working...
                      X