banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Alnico Pro2 and Jazz the same other than the magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Alnico Pro2 and Jazz the same other than the magnet?

I want a jazz neck in zebras with out the logo. Rather than paying extra and waiting for a shop floor custom, could I put an A5 in as A2Pto and have the same sound? Reason I ask is the a2p appears to come standard without the logo.
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Yes
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Yes. But stick with the A2. It sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes.

And the Custom Series is the same except for the magnets as well:

Custom = Ceramic
        C5 = A5
        Custom Custom = A2
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For me the Jazz neck sounds better. I'd put the A5 in if you have it.

Comment

Tried unoriented A5, rough cast A5 and A2 in a Jazz neck, currently on rough cast A5, but I'll revert to the stock A5 magnet at the next string change. A2 in the neck just doesn't cut it for me. Horses for courses, I guess.

Comment

I would stay with the RCA5 , to me it sounds better than the polished A5 .

Comment

Thank you for posting, and to everyone that answered this. I have been on this forum for years and I have heard so many conflicting things about whether or not the wind is any different between these two pups. I've always been hesitant to try an A2 in my beloved Jazz because, but now that this is confirmed I am going to try an A2P for the first time!

I was one of the probably of thousands of kids that started playing guitar because of Slash's lead work on Appetite For Destruction. I've always known that he used that set throughout his career and partially because of this I've always wanted to try different pickups to not be that guy playing a Les Paul with A2Ps into a Marshall playing Sweet Child O' Mine

But now that I know all I need to do is order an alnico 2, I'm definitely psyched to finally try one. The Jazz with a rough cast, unoriented A5 is absolutely my favorite Les Paul neck pickup I have ever tried, so unless it really sings I'll almost definitely swap it back, but I love that with a Custom/Jazz and a few magnets you can sample 5 pickups and settle on the combo you like best.
                Last edited by oilpit; 05-01-2021, 07:46 PM.
                Originally posted by jcthejester13
                Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Forget UOA5 as its too weak IMO.

A2, A4, A5 all work great depending on the application

Comment

A2 is the best for me, but I also recommend getting different magnets, as this wind can can sound drastically different with magnet swaps.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                      Thank you for posting, and to everyone that answered this. I have been on this forum for years and I have heard so many conflicting things about whether or not the wind is any different between these two pups. I've always been hesitant to try an A2 in my beloved Jazz because, but now that this is confirmed I am going to try an A2P for the first time!

I was one of the probably of thousands of kids that started playing guitar because of Slash's lead work on Appetite For Destruction. I've always known that he used that set throughout his career and partially because of this I've always wanted to try different pickups to not be that guy playing a Les Paul with A2Ps into a Marshall playing Sweet Child O' Mine

But now that I know all I need to do is order an alnico 2, I'm definitely psyched to finally try one. The Jazz with a rough cast, unoriented A5 is absolutely my favorite Les Paul neck pickup I have ever tried, so unless it really sings I'll almost definitely swap it back, but I love that with a Custom/Jazz and a few magnets you can sample 5 pickups and settle on the combo you like best.
                      There's a post on here by (at the time) Duncan employees that publicly relayed the story that the A2P/Jazz was confirmed as the same wind during the tests for Slash's pickup set. I believe it was Evan Skopp that relayed the conversation. If you search, you can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                        Forget UOA5 as its too weak IMO.

A2, A4, A5 all work great depending on the application
                        Interesting, I've always found UOA5s to have at least as much output as A2, usually a little bit more. Plus, the output of the neck pickup in a 22 fret guitar isn't really an issue for me, adjusting the pickup height even a little bit has always always been more than effective enough to balance with something like a Custom 5, granted, I don't really use hotter pickups than that, so that could also change things.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

There's a post on here by (at the time) Duncan employees that publicly relayed the story that the A2P/Jazz was confirmed as the same wind during the tests for Slash's pickup set. I believe it was Evan Skopp that relayed the conversation. If you search, you can find it.
                        Ahhhh, that makes sense, during college I pretty much took a hiatus from obsessing over gear online, so I totally would have missed this. Thanks for the info!
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                        X