banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should have come to the experts first...'92 USA Strat Dimarizo/SD humbucker swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should have come to the experts first...'92 USA Strat Dimarizo/SD humbucker swap

Done wasting life force drowning on the interwebs. Yanking the stock Strat Dimarizo H2 and hoping to get detailed instructions installing a SD Pearly Gates and CRL switch from those who can do this **** in their sleep...last gasp...I can provide dancing girls and beer...In a virtual environment of course...

I am not new to soldering, but am a total newb when it comes to pup theory. Definitely not accustomed to reversed polarity, coil switching, and color codes that don't match. I understand...solder red wire here, and green wire here, and I know how to go to ground...just a simple man. Whatever help ya'll can give would be much appreciated....thanks.

Comment

What does the switch do, and what are the other pickups in there?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The single coils are stock Fender Alnico 5 if I'm not mistaken. It has a five way standard plastic switch and I don't have the slightest idea how the mini switch works, but it does create different tones with the 5 way in 4/5 position, if my memory serves me correctly. All switch positions are clean and clear with no undesirable effects.

Comment

The mini switch might work only in bridge position...I don't use the mini much...can't be for sure whether it works in position 4.

Comment

Currently you have a Dimarzio humbucker that splits to the Inside coil when you flip the toggle switch.
            Dimarzio.Bare - Ground at volume pot
            Dimarzio.White - Ground at volume pot
            Dimarzio.Green - Toggle switch
            Dimarzio.Red - Toggle switch
            Dimarzio.Black - Pickup Selector.

When you install the pearly gates you should wire it like this:
            DuncanPG.Bare - Ground at volume pot
            DuncanPG.Red - Ground at volume pot
            DuncanPG.Green - Toggle switch
            DuncanPG.Black - Toggle Switch
            DuncanPG.White - Pickup Selector.

This is simply a translation from Dimarzio colour codes, to the Duncan colours.
            The wiring scheme is different from what you see on the instruction sheet because the connections are swapped to match the polarity of fender single coils.

Last edited by Teleplayer; 05-03-2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Great write up Telplayer. Thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge. I will be getting to work on it. Will re-post if I run into any snags, and update you with the results. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X