banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most 'time period accurate' Hendrix Strat pick ups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fender Custom Shop 69 neck pickup is THE tone. Trouble is, the bridge pickup is a flat out icepick. They also do not cancel hum in any position. Worst of all, FENDER PICKUPS ARE NOT RETURNABLE.

I would go for a NEW set of Duncans so you can use the 21 day exchange if you don’t like em.

My personal favorite single coil is the STKS4 Classic Stack Plus. You can crank the fuzz face to your heart’s content without all the buzz and hum. I love em!
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

^ The vintage strength bridge issue is certainly an issue if you just install the pickups with no mods thats for sure.

I love vintage strat sets, but you do often have to look to the bridge pickup and tweak the guitar a little bit. Of course most people do set aside a tone knob for the bridge alone. But I like also to separate out that control more by not only putting in 2 caps for the individual knobs (which should also help with loading a bit), but often putting in the bridge one higher than the nominal .047, but also dropping back the n+m ones back to .022.
      Almost all sets get a steel baseplate for the bridge too.

Having owned both Duncan and Fender singlecoils, its the Fender's that have not been sold on for me. They really do seem to have a better handle on what a strat should sound like to my ear.

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
        The Fender Custom Shop 69 neck pickup is THE tone. Trouble is, the bridge pickup is a flat out icepick. They also do not cancel hum in any position. Worst of all, FENDER PICKUPS ARE NOT RETURNABLE.

I would go for a NEW set of Duncans so you can use the 21 day exchange if you don’t like em.

My personal favorite single coil is the STKS4 Classic Stack Plus. You can crank the fuzz face to your heart’s content without all the buzz and hum. I love em!
        Sweetwater sells fender CS 69’s with a RWRP middle.

im with you on the SD classic stacks. They’re great pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post

Agreed there. They are more powerful than traditional 60s pickups by a hair, but they don't hum. They sound great with fuzz pedals as there is no hum to amplify as well. Many think the hum is part of the sound (listen to any live Jimi) but it drives me crazy.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X