No announcement yet.

Did SD discontinue 8-string blackouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did SD discontinue 8-string blackouts?

Ceramic blackouts are my fav neck pos pickup... tying to set up an 8 string, cant find them anywhere.. They're noisier than every other active pickup, and sound like mud on the bridge... but just about everything I play has a ceramic blackout on the neck position... Dunno why I like them so much...

Welcome to the forum!

I don't see them on the 8 string page, so my guess is that they did. The Custom Shop can still make them, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, that's strange, maybe the design was defective... I'll try something else. Can you recommend another pickup that has a similar voluptuous yet high output.

Comment

Originally posted by 46b View Post
        Yeah, that's strange, maybe the design was defective... I'll try something else. Can you recommend another pickup that has a similar voluptuous yet high output.
        Most likely, it had to do with sales. That doesn't mean there aren't some sitting on a store shelf somewhere. I'd troll Reverb or Ebay.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The sales speculation would make the most sense. I should probably try something else, these pickups cant sound as good as what I think they do for the application I’m using them for. A bridge pickup for metal, in a neck position for warm tones… I’ll have a look around the SD store. If all else fails i will troll the warehouses as you say.

thanks.

Comment

You might also try the Trading Post section of the forum, too. Or, call SD directly, and see if there are a few on the shelf somewhere.

Comment

I did what you suggested and managed to get one that was sitting in a warehouse. Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate what you do on here... looks like you help countless people on their personal sonic journey. I just wanted to express my gratitude. Thank you.

Comment

No problem! Hopefully you will return and let us know how your project turns out!

Comment

Went great. Its an ESP HRF 8 string. Fluence Ceramic Modern in the bridge, and a ceramic blackout in the neck. I have this set up on 3 guitars. The blackout sounds amazing, where I used to play maybe 95% bridge... now I'm more 50 / 50..

My playing has become a lot more balanced due to having a neck pickup I really enjoy... It makes a big difference. I'm pretty happy to get rid of the EMG's... now i only use them if the guitar has a crappy or missing bridge ground. Its still nice to play some 80s/90's metal from time to time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, what a great rig!

Comment

Working...
                    X