No announcement yet.

Need Advice on Single Coil Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PJ ceramics on my Godin Bass curiously had the same lead color: one yellow and one white. I'm thinking maybe the two remaining ground wires go on the pots and somewhere else...however I can totally be wrong. Once I have the instrument I'll send photos.
    Last edited by FrenchCanada; 05-07-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

OK, so i've removed the pickguard on the guitar to reveal the wiring and soldering. Turns out the Humbucker has one fat wire only that looks like its soldered on the casing of the pickup selector switch. For me this is problematic because I've yet to see a humbucker without the silver ground casing and lead wire inside to solder at two places. I think I will abandon this project. Any thoughts?

Comment

Don't abandon anything so quickly. I just swapped the pickups on my Godin Exit 22 for an EMG 60/S/S set I had lying around. It was a very easy project.

Is my understanding correct that you are wanting to replace the pickups but haven't played the guitar yet? (thread started May 6th and you received the guitar May 15th)
        I would suggest playing it for a while because that might influence your pickup decision, like changing the bridge humbucker too. I had a GHB-1 and it was nothing to wrote about.

If you are struggling with the wiring, I would suggest to remove everything from the pickguard and put it in a ziplock bag. Then buy 2x CTS pots, 1x CRL switch, 1x Switchcraft jack and 2x Orange Drop capacitors. Maybe SSL-1 will be too bright with 500k pots (that might being used currently). IMO, SSL-1 are a particularly good match to Pearly Gates and Screamin Demon in SSH Strats using 250K pots.

SD pickups are very difficult to find in guitar shop in Quebec (I'm assuming based on your avatar name) and the distributor has almost nothing in stock. Took me 3 months to get a STK-S7 and a Screamin Demon. I wanted to order a STK-S4 in 2019, called the distributor and told me 3-6 months. So I order in eBay and received it in less than a week. If you want to buy a Screamin Demon let me know

Comment

Working...
        X