Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G string too loud with APS-1 pickup

Hi!

I installed an APS-1 pickup on my guitar, but the G string is significantly louder than other strings. Is it possible to push down the magnet pole under the G string? Or is there any other solution?

Thanks!

It's only safe to push the poles down on singlecoil pups that are designed in a certain way. So don't do it until someone here familiar with the APS-1 can confirm if it can be done eithout risk of damage to the pickup. Or you reach out to Seymour Duncan Customer Support by email or phone and someone there advises you.

In the meantime, here is a thread from another forum on this topic that explains a little of why its not safe dependent on how the pup is designed:

Hi all. I recently got an American Pro Strat (SSS config) that I am happy with over all, however the v-mod pickups have a vintage stagger, resulting in the g string being too loud. I know this is a common complaint with vintage stagger and modern string sets (different g string from the...
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Can you swap out that G string for another one? Some people have reported that swapping out the string with another has helped. I am not sure if it is very safe to push that pole down. Maybe someone here has done it already.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Deguassing the pole a bit might work also, but carries risks also.

Comment

the aps1 is made old school with the coil around the rod magnets, if you push it down, you could break the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            the aps1 is made old school with the coil around the rod magnets, if you push it down, you could break the coil.
            That is what I wanted to know. Then I will avoid pushing it down!

Could we wear it down using a dremel or else? And polish it back for the look.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Can you swap out that G string for another one? Some people have reported that swapping out the string with another has helped. I am not sure if it is very safe to push that pole down. Maybe someone here has done it already.
              What do you mean by another string? Do you mean another gauge of wire? I am currently using a 0.009 set of GHS thin core boomers.

Comment

Just change your string. It's literally the cheapest thing on your guitar, so start there.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Get another brand of string and try it. It can be the same gauge. It is a cheap and easy thing to try.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

dont grind the magnet down, you will probably heat it up too much and could change the field strength

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      dont grind the magnet down, you will probably heat it up too much and could change the field strength
                      Good point!

Comment

Try a wound G string instead of plain.

Comment

Working...
                        X