Black winter + ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

I am a complete electrical idiot and I will say that pole height is easy even for me. The Winters are very sensitive to pickup height, so just playing around with that aspect will pay big dividends. When I first got the Winter set, the bridge sounded too harsh and distorted, but a few adjustments to pickup and pole height fixed that.
    I have a BW bridge in my Jackson Dinky and it really is superb. In my case the sweet spot is having the pole pieces ever so slightly raised and the distance between the pole piece and string around 2.8 to 3 mm. If set higher it sounded harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

I have a BW bridge in my Jackson Dinky and it really is superb. In my case the sweet spot is having the pole pieces ever so slightly raised and the distance between the pole piece and string around 2.8 to 3 mm. If set higher it sounded harsh.
      +1. In my Jackson I swapped Full Shred, Screamin Demon, Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom, Distortion, Slash, 59, Black Winter and stopped when I got to Black Winter. I may put the Distortion back at some point, as it did do a lot of 80s-90s songs perfectly, but the Black Winter by itself was covering everything the Custom family, Shred/Demon and Distortion was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

+1. In my Jackson I swapped Full Shred, Screamin Demon, Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom, Distortion, Slash, 59, Black Winter and stopped when I got to Black Winter. I may put the Distortion back at some point, as it did do a lot of 80s-90s songs perfectly, but the Black Winter by itself was covering everything the Custom family, Shred/Demon and Distortion was doing.
        I tried everything in my jackson KV-1 korina...actives, passives, full shred, distortion, dimarzios. The black winter is THE set for that guitar. Adjusted right the neck pickup has this vocal midrange that can’t be beat for leads and overdubs. The bridge is just the perfect high gain type tone for that guitar too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only way I could see the black winter neck being thin or bright is if was wired out of phase with itself. It’s the thickest beefiest neck pickup I have ever used, even when split it’s louder than most single coils and still full sounding.

The neck is easily the better pickup out of the pair. I can’t imagine an adjustment that would make it sound thin or tinny. Are you sure the wiring is correct? Both coils are on? The volume pot and switch for the neck are good?

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
            The only way I could see the black winter neck being thin or bright is if was wired out of phase with itself. It’s the thickest beefiest neck pickup I have ever used, even when split it’s louder than most single coils and still full sounding.

The neck is easily the better pickup out of the pair. I can’t imagine an adjustment that would make it sound thin or tinny. Are you sure the wiring is correct? Both coils are on? The volume pot and switch for the neck are good?
            Honey? I don’t know.

I had a tech install them maybe 10years ago or so because I was afraid to f things up by trying to do it myself.

For the same reason I had a tech at the local shop do my coil splits for me about 5 years ago or so (don’t think the same tech did the split as the original installation of my Winters).

I m guessing the years part because it’s been such a long while since then that I’ve kinda forgot exactly when it was.

So find a different shop to double check it was done right then? Maybe?

Comment

Add: it sounds different with the pot up then down so I doubt the split is the problem in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadethgal View Post
                Add: it sounds different with the pot up then down so I doubt the split is the problem in and of itself.
                It really seems like pole and pickup height might be the problem, then. If you raise the bass-side pickup height (all you need is a screwdriver), you'll get more warmth and bottom end. If you lower the treble-side height, you'll get less brightness and bite. Then go pole piece by pole piece to taste.

I'm like you: I don't trust myself to install anything properly, so I had my luthier install the Black Winters in my Les Paul. At first I couldn't figure out why the bridge sounded thin and the neck sounded crazy-huge and overpowering. Then I figured out it was pickup height. I adjusted both neck and bridge and suddenly the guitar roared to life.

Comment

Working...
                X