Tele Mini Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Mini Humbucker

I'm interested in putting a Mini humbucker in the neck position on a tele build.
    Which SD Mini hum would you recommend, the Firebird style or the Antiquity.
    Also, which Tele bridge p/u do you feel would pair well with the mini humbuckers.
    Anybody have experience trying this before?
    Thanks

I guess a Firebird is a bit brighter.
    Sorry, no first hand recommendation. I only used a mini hum in the bridge do far.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I haven't put hums in the neck of my Teles, but I have experience with the pickups individually. The normal Firebird pickup is more Fender-like (some brightness, little bit of twang), but the Antiquity could work if that were the sound you were looking for. With the Firebird, I would expect the original/older bridge designs (Antiquity I or II / Broadcaster / '55) to match pretty well. I'd imagine a modern/hotter bridge pickup (Fender Twisted Tele, Texas Hot, haven't used the Jerry Donahue but maybe that one?) might work better with the Antiquity mini. That's my estimation - haven't actually used these combos.

Comment

i have an antiquity II firebird pup in the neck of my black tele with a bridge pup i wound. i love a firebird or mini humbucker in the neck of a tele. as far as which pup to try, id say the sm1, antiquity II firebird or mini-bucker would all work ok with a jd bridge for example

Comment

I love minis in the neck of a tele. I only prefer the FB style for slide. Otherwise, I like the standard mini. I'm planning to go 5-2 or JD along with a mini in my thinline when I get around to swapping out what's in there now

Comment

Awhile ago, I installed an SM-1 for a customer in the neck of a Tele. Best Tele neck pup I've ever heard. I got an SM-3 for myself, but haven't installed it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i have an antiquity II firebird pup in the neck of my black tele...
              i am getting curious about a firebird PU i a tele neck.
              i have a hard time finding the duncan Page for this PU!
              Where is it???

Comment

The Duncan page seems to be gone, but the pickup itself and any descriptions and some detailed specs can be found on various distributors sites:

Detailed Product Information on Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Firebird Humb. at www.thomann.de

Get the guaranteed best price on Humbucker Pickups like the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Firebird at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

-- interesting the last one cites a 'back in stock' date of May 31 - perhaps the page is offline until they get some made and available?

Comment

We do this mod quite regularly and practically any mini size option is better than the standard tele neck. In most cases, we keep the original tele bridge because it does a good job retaining the classic tele sound. Without recommending specific pups, here's a quick mini size overview ...

You didn't mention p90s but it's the warmest and a great contrast for the bridge. You do lose traditional second position sound but you get a thicker second position that many people like.

The Firebirds at the opposite end of the spectrum. It is very bright single coilish and in many ways retains the bright telecaster tone. The second position is very much like a standard tele tone and I usually describe this configuration is a tele on steroids.

And a mini humbucker is exactly in the middle. It has some of the warmth like p90, but it also cuts through a mix extremely well. The middle position isn't the same as a tele middle position but it's incredible useful.

Last but not least, a client went with a miny humbucker and asked me to parallel it to itself.. I tried to talk him out of it because I expected a weak anemic tone.. in reality, it provided an extremely close tone to my imaginary tele neck pup... Bright clear and humbucking... In the middle position is almost exactly the same as a standard tele.

You can find a little more detail on the parallel to self if you look for my threads over the last 6 months or so.

Much luck, and looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    The Duncan page seems to be gone, but the pickup itself and any descriptions and some detailed specs can be found on various distributors sites:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products...ck-pickup-gold

https://www.thomannmusic.com/seymour...ebird_humb.htm
                    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ty-ii-firebird
                    https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunca.../dp/B0009R3DTY
                    -- interesting the last one cites a 'back in stock' date of May 31 - perhaps the page is offline until they get some made and available?
                    thanks!
                    so i am not too stupid to find it
                    hope it’s not discontinued

Comment

Working...
                    X