Replacement pups for Custom 5/Jazz in LTD EC-1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

OK, so to drill down a bit, how do the Custom and Distortion stack up against each other?
    The Distortion has more treble, more mids, and less bass than the Custom. It is also a little bit louder.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

OK, so to drill down a bit, how do the Custom and Distortion stack up against each other?
      Distortion: Ultra tight chunking bass, big present mids, screaming highs. Great for down tune, and my go to for Dokken, Priest, Metallica. I have played all kinds of things with it though. It is very metal.

Custom: Tight thumping bass, present but more scooped mids, same screaming highs. Great for all kinds of rock, and my go to for Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Megadeth. I would play more things with a Custom that a Distortion. It is more all around.
      Last edited by Aceman; 07-07-2021, 08:51 AM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Distortion: Ultra tight chunking bass, big present mids, screaming highs. Great for down tune, and my go to for Dokken, Priest, Metallica. I have played all kinds of things with it though. It is very metal.

Custom: Tight thumping bass, present but more scooped mids, same screaming highs. Great for all kinds of rock, and my go to for Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Megadeth. I would play more things with a Custom that a Distortion. It isomer all around.
        I agree with all of this.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom: Tight thumping bass, present but more scooped mids, same screaming highs. Great for all kinds of rock, and my go to for Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Megadeth. I would play more things with a Custom that a Distortion. It is more all around.
          Really helpful, thanks. Actually a bit of a dilemma. I probably gravitate to the Distortion's EQ more by default (I like mids), but I do play a ton of Leppard and Megadeth. Though not so much Leppard on this particular guitar, since it's in E flat. I've got a decision to make...

Comment

E/Eb they both sound fantastic. You can set that 3/7/7 eq at the amp if you want with the custom, whereas that IS the EQ of the Distortion.

If I were gonna play hard rock/metal most of the time, and was willing to adjust the amp on occasions for blues/pop/whatever - Distortion. (Which could do a nice Chicago blues style, I'd add...and the cleans are crisp - if somewhat Sterile and less than full...depending on the axe.)

If I might play a bit of this that or the other thing and wanted to dial in an all around sound except for Gain - Custom. While it isn't going to have the raw aggression of the Distortion, it can definitely be Aggressive. The volume can PAF it up a bit, if it is somewhat less than really warm when you do that.

Do a Mag swap with a Ceramic on that C5 and see how you like it.

Comment

E/Eb they both sound fantastic. You can set that 3/7/7 eq at the amp if you want with the custom, whereas that IS the EQ of the Distortion.

If I were gonna play hard rock/metal most of the time, and was willing to adjust the amp on occasions for blues/pop/whatever - Distortion. (Which could do a nice Chicago blues style, I'd add...and the cleans are crisp - if somewhat Sterile and less than full...depending on the axe.)

If I might play a bit of this that or the other thing and wanted to dial in an all around sound except for Gain - Custom. While it isn't going to have the raw aggression of the Distortion, it can definitely be Aggressive. The volume can PAF it up a bit, if it is somewhat less than really warm when you do that.

Do a Mag swap with a Ceramic on that C5 and see how you like it.
              While we're on the subject, can I ask you for your recommendations on neck pickups to pair with either the Distortion bridge or the Custom? For the former, I'd venture a Distortion neck, and for the latter, a '59, but maybe there are better choices. (this guitar is mostly metal and hard rock with the odd foray into blues and pop, if that helps at all)

Comment

Personally I would not touch the pickups, they are good IMO. I have a Katana 50 and I would say that it's not the greatest amp for metal, for blues no question.

6 things you can do:
                1- Play with the height of the pickups (half a turn at a time) and play with the filler screws (again half a turn at a time). If the Jazz is too bright, turn the filler screws clockwise. You way have to raise the pickup to compensate the output level.
                2- Get Katana Librarian app for Androids. This changed the way I was dialling my Katana 50. It's way easier with this app than it is with BTS. Start by adding an HPF and a LPF. There's a good chance your Jazz will sound good with just that. Removing some low and some high will also makes the Custom 5 less scooped. Had just enough mids. With the Librarian, it's also very easy to have 4-presets for blues, 4-presets for Def Leppard and another 4-presets for metal. Takes 5 seconds to load them.
                3- Get an external close back cab. This will change the response of the Katana 50 and it will sound closer to an amp for metal. I plugged my 4x12" cab on the Katana 50 and it transformed the amp. I also have a custom 1x12" close cab with an Eminence GB128 that I really like for blues, classic rock and hard rock. Don't get me wrong, the Katana 50 is great for the price but a bigger cab and a better speaker transformed the amp.
                4- Get a Katana Head and whatever cab to get the sound you are after.
                5- Try your guitar on a different amp. Go to a friend or the a music store with that guitar to compare your amp vs another amp. Maybe it's the way you dialled your tone on the Katana.
                6- Change your pickups, we are on Seymour Duncan forum after all

Again, an amp and a cab will give you better result IMO because the Custom 5 and the Jazz are already good/great pickups.

Comment

While we're on the subject, can I ask you for your recommendations on neck pickups to pair with either the Distortion bridge or the Custom? For the former, I'd venture a Distortion neck, and for the latter, a '59, but maybe there are better choices. (this guitar is mostly metal and hard rock with the odd foray into blues and pop, if that helps at all)
                  A 59 works with either if a PAF is desired - Which I think is you.
                  A Jazz is not out of place either, but not my thing - Might dig it for pop.
                  I prefer a 59 with the Distortion and a Pearly Gates with the Custom. That's just me
                  A Screaming Demon is not a bad option with the Distortion
                  Of course, A Distortion neck is always in style, if loud. I have that set in a Silverburst Cadillac

Comment

I have a 59n/Custom combo in my LP copy. The 59 is more bass & highs but less mids. Its good for a variety of stuff but if I was given an option then I'd definitely pick Pearly Gates neck over it.

The Custom can be bright with strong bass, mids are there but not honking kind. I didn't get along with the C5 but the Custom is a keeper.

The 59n + Custom combo blends well eq wise. I've not looked into a PGn & Slash Bridge combo, I wonder what that would be like

Comment

Distortion. (Which could do a nice Chicago blues style, I'd add...and the cleans are crisp - if somewhat Sterile and less than full...depending on the axe.)
                      what the hell kinda chicago blues are you listening to?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

what the hell kinda chicago blues are you listening to?
                        I'm talking about a super clean bright snappy sound. Generally solid Fender guitar into bright Fender amp treble tones.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                          Personally I would not touch the pickups, they are good IMO. I have a Katana 50 and I would say that it's not the greatest amp for metal, for blues no question.

6 things you can do:
                          1- Play with the height of the pickups (half a turn at a time) and play with the filler screws (again half a turn at a time). If the Jazz is too bright, turn the filler screws clockwise. You way have to raise the pickup to compensate the output level.
                          2- Get Katana Librarian app for Androids. This changed the way I was dialling my Katana 50. It's way easier with this app than it is with BTS. Start by adding an HPF and a LPF. There's a good chance your Jazz will sound good with just that. Removing some low and some high will also makes the Custom 5 less scooped. Had just enough mids. With the Librarian, it's also very easy to have 4-presets for blues, 4-presets for Def Leppard and another 4-presets for metal. Takes 5 seconds to load them.
                          3- Get an external close back cab. This will change the response of the Katana 50 and it will sound closer to an amp for metal. I plugged my 4x12" cab on the Katana 50 and it transformed the amp. I also have a custom 1x12" close cab with an Eminence GB128 that I really like for blues, classic rock and hard rock. Don't get me wrong, the Katana 50 is great for the price but a bigger cab and a better speaker transformed the amp.
                          4- Get a Katana Head and whatever cab to get the sound you are after.
                          5- Try your guitar on a different amp. Go to a friend or the a music store with that guitar to compare your amp vs another amp. Maybe it's the way you dialled your tone on the Katana.
                          6- Change your pickups, we are on Seymour Duncan forum after all

Again, an amp and a cab will give you better result IMO because the Custom 5 and the Jazz are already good/great pickups.
                          Thanks for this. Getting a back cab isn't in the cards, but I'll think about re-dialing my Katana 50 settings. I mean, I'm perfectly happy with my metal tones on my other guitars. It's just this particular guitar with the Custom 5 that lacks a bit to me.

Comment

Necro-ing this thread one more time to say thanks for all the suggestions. I think I've pretty much decided on a Distortion/'59 pairing for the EC-1000.

Comment

Let us know what you think. It would certainly work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X