NPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD

Got the latest High Order from Jeff in with 50s wiring, 8.8K overwound PAF. She is so sweet I'm going to have to get one for the neck!!

Very nice. Is there a duncan you can compare it to?
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

A hot antiquity maybe?
      When called upon she screams, but sweetly.
      It's hard to describe, when you strum a chord every note's clear even with a lot of gain.

I've got it running through a preamp based on a Silver Jubilee with LED clipping instead of diodes and my current settings are (dialed in for a very bright speaker cabinet):
      Mids 11 o'clock
      Bass 10 o'clock
      Treble 9 o'clock
      Gain 1: 3 o'clock
      Gain 2: 1 o'clock
      Presence: 9 o'clock
      Resonance: 11 o'clock

Maybe another forum member familiar with Jeff's pickups can make a better comparison to his hot-ish PAF winds??

Comment

Probably pretty close to the Whole Lotta Humbucker, which is basically an overwound 59B: 8.8K with rough A5 mag.

Still, hand-fed coils IME often give excellent string-to-string clarity and a slightly more open top end.

I've heard good things about High Order; never owned one though.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Hey, if does what you want, that's what matters. Post a clip if you will.

Comment

Now to figure out how to upload.
            Says not allowed to upload m4a (I think)?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldfart_Shredman View Post
              LED clipping instead of diodes
              ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Please explain. (LED = light emitting diode).

Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Gotcha.

I may be mistaken but while the SJ has diode clipping i didn't think they were LEDs.

Comment

A post here from the Marshall forum about diode clipping stages in the various JCM800 versions, plus the Jubilee and JCM900.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Excellent thread! It seems the Silver Jubilee had noth LED and regular diiode clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Please explain. (LED = light emitting diode).
                      That's actually a pretty popular mod for distortion pedals. There's even pedals that come that way. All diodes will "clip" at a certain voltage threshold. That threshold is determined by the chemical make-up. And that threshold will also determine the clipping, (and therefore), tonal character. An LED just happens to produce light while it's doing it. But it's still a diode at heart. An LED will typically have a much higher voltage threshold than a garden variety diode, thus making it only clip the extreme peaks.

Scroll down a little on this page, (or read the whole thing), about a dirt simple fuzz and how different diodes, (including an LED) affect the tone.

Check out this one too. (Again, scroll to the bottom to see an LED used.)

How to use mosfet transistors and zener diodes for clipping in guitar fx pedals.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-24-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I have never bought a pickup from Jeff but I have high regard for him because I emailed back and forth with him a few years ago and he basically talked me out of buying a pickup by helping me clarify what I was looking for. Gotta respect that!

Comment

Working...
                        X