banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S-D recommendations for a Thinline Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-D recommendations for a Thinline Tele?

It'll be another DIY build.

Hopefully a half decent US made (but not Fender) body and a Fender licensed (but not made) neck, rosewood fingerboard, just because I like them.

I just want it to sound like a thinline should, no flavors or bias towards a particular musical genre, nothing iff the wall or too hot.

Thanks

What is it routed for? Original Wide Range Humbuckers? New standard humbuckers? Standard Tele single bridge and neck? Single bridge, wide range neck?

Comment

Assume standard.

Comment

Well, do you want traditional Tele, rock machine, or versatility?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
          I just want it to sound like a thinline should, no flavors or bias towards a particular musical genre, nothing iff the wall or too hot.
          I'd say Antiquity II tele set. Those are true to the period the original thinline came out.

Comment

I always liked A2 pickups with thinlines (no experience with Tele thinlines, but with ES 335s).The thinlines tend to have a stronger attack, which is softened with A2s.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I see Antiquity, Antiquity II and Antiquity 55 sets. The EQ graphs look much the same and the tone sound samples always sound much of a muchness to me on my PC, let alone my phone.

Some are also available "aged" and "not aged". My preference would be for the latter.

The body isn't going to arrive for several weeks. I pushed the button on a Chinese not plywood - hopefully - mahogany last night. The wood choice bring down to personal preference for looks, very light, fully hollowed not half hollowed, and pre-finished.

Buying a decent neck will have to wait for more beer vouchers to accumulate now, so no real rush.

Comment

What about the Brad Paisley La Brea or Vintage Broadcaster sets?

Comment

What about the Brad Paisley La Brea or Vintage Broadcaster sets?
                  both great sets!

The La Brea set is a little smoother, and seems to be better with gain to my ears. It is a more complex sound to me.

Comment

Good.

I don't like the factory applied rust on the antiquity sets

Comment

^ Reminds me of British and Italian cars from the 70s.

People used to (half) joke only the Italian car factories could make PLASTIC rust...
                      Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 05-31-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

La Breas ordered from Sweetwater.

Thanks guys

Comment

La Breas ordered from Sweetwater.

Thanks guys
                          Let us know how this project turns out!!

Comment

^ Will do.

The body is on a slow boat from China (quite literally I expect), and I still have to find a modest neck I like the look of, so it'll probably be another month before assembly begins.

Comment

The La Brea pickups arrived at lunchtime and I'm now waiting for the Amazon van to deliver the rest of the electronics.

Initial confusion on the wiring colors on the bridge pickup was fixed by seeing which one had a lik to the baseplate, and I presume that's the negative or ground side.

The bridge pickup needs an independent casing ground, a third wire, to suit my intended 5-way superswitch wiring, so that's been done too. The solder blobs on the bottom of the pickup was un-soldered from the jumper to the coil negative / ground and a third wire attached in its place. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Comment

Working...
                              X