Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup for an ESP Jake E. Lee signature model

Hello again all!!

So I have one of these rare birds coming in, and I am having a tough choice trying to decide which pickup I really want in the bridge... And possibly rhe same for the middle single coil too, but primarily the bridge pickup is my main focus...

The guitar is Alder bodied with a maple fingerboard, hardtail fixed bridge. Metal, hard & classic rock are the main styles played, but always seeking extra versatility with the coil splits, etc. Its gonna have a Hot Rails in the neck & SSL-5 RWRP for the middle positionI was originally thinking the Distortion, but now I'm not so sure... I know it's gonna be a little bit brighter due to the maple fingerboard, so I don't want something that's gonna be really ice pick -ish in the highs...

I can't decide between the following:
    * Distortion
    *Alternative 8
    *Custom
    *Omega (IF I can get just the bridge pickup, won't need the set...)
    *and possibly the Dimebucker

And if I switch the middle SC, I'm considering switching the Custom Staggered for either:
    *SSL-6 Custom Flat,
    *SSL-4 Quarter Pound Flat

what would you guys suggest??? Thanks in advanced!!
    Last edited by Despised; 06-01-2021, 06:03 AM.

Im always a fan of the Distortion. Custom isnt bad but not my fave. JB which isnt on your list is a love or hate, I hated it in my most guitars but screams in my LTD M-1000.

Are we talking 80s, 90s or more modern metal and hard rock?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      Im always a fan of the Distortion. Custom isnt bad but not my fave. JB which isnt on your list is a love or hate, I hated it in my most guitars but screams in my LTD M-1000.

Are we talking 80s, 90s or more modern metal and hard rock?
      The JB is definitely a love or hate pickup... its been forever since I tried a 6-string one, and the 7 I've never liked.

And as for style, everything rock and metal spanning from the 60's to today. Stuff like Toto, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica, Megadeth, Faith No More, The Guess Who, and sooo much more...

Do you think the Distortion is closest to the Hot Rails in terms of tone and output? I have one in another LYD ST-213 w/maple fingerboard, and its shockingly amazing!!!
      Last edited by Despised; 06-01-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Then in that case, Id def get the Distortion but thats just for my love of it. The JB would be a good choice but again, either that upper mid shines and becomes nasally or blends in amazing.

Ive never played the the Hot Rails but they would probably work together.

I had a Distortion in an old RG-570 and currently one in my Iceman, absolutely love it. The JB in the M-1000 is giving it a run for its money though.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

With that guitar, I'd go stock. JB w/ A2 or AH-1 (double-screw JB) w/ A2 in the bridge and DiMarzio SDS-1's in the neck and middle. That's me though.

Comment

Consider a Perpetual Burn also. Hot when you need it to be, but clean when called for too. Killer pup.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Consider a Perpetual Burn also. Hot when you need it to be, but clean when called for too. Killer pup.
              Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one... I'll have to try and check out some good demos of it. Do you think it would pair well with the HR in the neck and the Custom Staggered in the middle??

Comment

Doesn't it come with a JB in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one... I'll have to try and check out some good demos of it. Do you think it would pair well with the HR in the neck and the Custom Staggered in the middle??
                  I do. The PB has become one of my favorite Duncan pups, and I play mostly clean.

But keep in mind, I play exclusively in a home studio. Never live or loud.

Comment

The PB is an excellent pickup. A big +1 from me on that one as an option, if you don't want the JB. It splits ridiculously well too.

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Yes, it did come with a JB and 2 ESP single-coils.

Comment

When I think Jake E. Lee, I think JB.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        ErikH also, I'm guessing it depends on which production year... Because in the '95 ESP catalog, they show it and the specs with ESP pickups in it stock... yet others I see have them stock...

The one I'm getting already has a JB/SSL-2/SSL-2 in it, but I think they were put in afterwards because the boxes the pickups came in are coming in the case... see attached pics...

Since I was gonna be putting a Blk/Wht/Blk pickguard on it, I figured I'd put something I want in the new one, leaving the original one alone, keeping the guitar's integrity and originality in tact... Hence why I am asking about what to put in the bridge to go with an RWRP SSL-5 & Hot Rails neck...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Despised; 06-01-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          With that guitar, I'd go stock. JB w/ A2 or AH-1 (double-screw JB) w/ A2 in the bridge and DiMarzio SDS-1's in the neck and middle. That's me though.
                          agreed. i built a jake style partscaster (hardtail alder body) with sds1's and an ah-1 and it sounds really good. personally i wouldn't mess with the ESP, but hey, it's your guitar. go for it!
                          *edit* i just saw you're getting a whole new pickguard set up for the pickup swap. good idea!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210601_142157 full copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	6084708
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

agreed. i built a jake style partscaster (hardtail alder body) with sds1's and an ah-1 and it sounds really good. personally i wouldn't mess with the ESP, but hey, it's your guitar. go for it!
                            *edit* i just saw you're getting a whole new pickguard set up for the pickup swap. good idea!

Click image for larger version Name:	20210601_142157 full copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	6084708
                            Yes. If it was an LTD ST-213, I wouldn't care as much. But since these get harder and harder to find, and worth more and more as time passes, I didn't wanna mess with the original. So the one I have coming is the one in the first pic, but its gonna look like the one in the 2nd with the new pickguard...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              I was thinking the exact same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X