Punk / Rock Strat HSS (HSH?) Pup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punk / Rock Strat HSS (HSH?) Pup recommendations

Hi everyone, I am making a Billie Joe Armstrong "blue" strat like guitar with a JB HB in the bridge. The guitar would be fine with only that pickup, but, to give it a little extra functionality, I want to put a middle and neck pickup in there too. This doesn't have to be a Swiss Army knife guitar or sound like a classic strat. I think that if I want a classic strat tone, I will just buy an SSS guitar. I do want to use it for practicing and playing punk, classic rock, alternative, and maybe metal. Billie joes "blue" has two white single coils for middle and neck in addition to the slanted black JB in the bridge - I would like to keep that look which limits me to single coil sized pickups for the middle and neck. Other than that the only requirement I am trying to meet is having "somewhat similar" volumes across the pickups (I realize the JB is high output).

Pickups I have considered but am not limited to include the JB jr, Lil59, Classic Stack

If you do recommend a SC sized HB, would using the "bridge" version be better to match volumes?

Any recommendations with your reasoning and experiences is so much appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd use the Classic Stack in the middle, and a Little 59 in the neck. No need to use the bridge versions. You will get a pretty sweet versatile guitar that sounds great distorted or not, and you could really cover a lot of styles, too. If you do this, take a pic and share it!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You could also consider a version of the Everything Axe set? Full-size JB, Duckbucker, Little 59 neck?

Comment

Working...
      X