Doublecoil to singlecoil ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doublecoil to singlecoil ?

Has anybody ever taken a humbucker apart and used the separate coils to make singlecoils ?

You'd need new baseplates and a new mag for each

Also, most well-regarded single coil designs use magnetic AlNiCo pole pieces instead of mags at the bottom (although offbrand cheapies used glued-on bar mags on the bottom, and Mexican Fender used two narrow ceramic bars on either side of oversized nonmagnetized but ferrous polepieces)
    Last edited by Adieu; 06-07-2021, 07:22 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

What he said. Plus . . . its been my experience that even cheap import singles get you 95% of the way to classic Stratocaster jangle and chime. IMHO, you get aftermarket singles in order to go that nth degree. (Which is usually worth it.)

Comment

This is just an idea I'm thinking about. I want something other than the usual offerings in single coil pups. I like the sound of the Custom split and was wondering what it would sound like to take a couple of Customs apart and make a set of single coil pickups from them and/or if anybody had done this before and what their experience was. I can't afford to spend $160 to do an experiment right now.

Comment

if you could come up with a base plate, the rest would be easy

Comment

You could also replace the stud poles with magnet poles. You want .187 size.

http://www.addiction-fx.com/gallery2.htm

Alnico rod magnets can have very strong flux output and are stable at high temperatures. Explore whether this is the right magnet solution for your application.

https://www.hsmagnets.com/product/alnico-2-vintage-beveled-rod-magnet-guitar-pickup/

Comment

Working...
            X