Questions about my 'Do It All' Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    You're welcome. And I'm assuming that #2 is the next position beyond bridge #1. Not everyone numbers the positions the same.
    Yup, you got it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      So for my own knowledge, what do you get with a RWRP Humbucker? I assume the magnet is opposite so you get North on the Screws and South on the Studs? Are the start/end of each coil swapped as well? If so, why were they out of phase when both Black leads were hot and green leads were ground?
      Well, I had specified rw/rp. It *could* be just one or the other. But it was out of phase when both blacks were hot. It is in phase now with green swapped for hot on the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        If, for example, he's getting the coils toward the neck in position 2, why wouldn't rotating the neck pickup make the coil toward the neck now the coil toward the bridge? It's a Parallel Axis, so there's no difference in the coils and poles except location along the string.
        Yup, and sorry. I thought you were referring to phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Well, I had specified rw/rp. It *could* be just one or the other. But it was out of phase when both blacks were hot. It is in phase now with green swapped for hot on the neck.
          That still confuses me. RW should reverse the polarity of the signal. Therefore, you'd need to swap black and green. RP, should bring it back. If you reverse polarity twice, you're back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That still confuses me. RW should reverse the polarity of the signal. Therefore, you'd need to swap black and green. RP, should bring it back. If you reverse polarity twice, you're back to normal.
            Which is why I asked here. Unless just the magnet was flipped and it wasn't totally rw/rp...I am just guessing.

Comment

Which is why I asked here. Unless just the magnet was flipped and it wasn't totally rw/rp...I am just guessing.
              If you use a compass or other pickup, can you confirm the magnet was flipped? If so it seems like the RW part just didn’t make it. (Would they typically just reverse the coil connections of B/W and R/G to do this?)
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Mincer's current conundrum seems to another example of what I was talking about in this recent thread:

The used SD SH-1N ('59) I ordered arrived in the mail earlier today, and I got around to taking the basic measurements on it with a multimeter and compass just a little while ago. Boy I am glad I took the measurements before just installing it with assumptions about it having typical specs for an SD Neck position pup. I would
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Seems like SD practice when making a RWRP pup is that Green and White will be +, and Red and Black will be the - wires, based on what Mincer reported here and how the Neck SH-1 that i reported on recently - that I found to be RWRP - had the same thing going on with its wires.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

i dont know if id ever order a rw/rp 4 cond buckers. im so used to the normal wiring and polarity, that id flip the magnet if i needed and keep the color codes the same so id know what is what

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i dont know if id ever order a rw/rp 4 cond buckers. im so used to the normal wiring and polarity, that id flip the magnet if i needed and keep the color codes the same so id know what is what
                      I know that NOW...haha

Comment

Just recalled something Artie explained a couple months ago, that drives me to modify my last comment. I said that apparently SD wires their RWRP humbuckers so that Green and White are +, and Red and Black are -. However, Artie pointed out in that thread, that simply flipping a magnet will cause the *electrical* polarity to change. So, SD didn't do anything special or different in wiring of the two SD-made RWRP pups we have officially observed (Mincer's and mine). The electrical polarity changed simply due to the mag flip.

Ref. replies # 21 through 23 in this thread:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...22#post6074422
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-10-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                          Just recalled something Artie explained a couple months ago, that drives me to modify my last comment. I said that apparently SD wires their RWRP humbuckers so that Green and White are +, and Red and Black are -. However, Artie pointed out in that thread, that simply flipping a magnet will cause the *electrical* polarity to change. So, SD didn't do anything special or different in wiring of the two SD-made RWRP pups we have officially observed (Mincer's and mine). The electrical polarity changed simply due to the mag flip.

Ref. replies # 21 through 23 in this thread:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...22#post6074422
                          This may be the case, here. BTW, neck is north, bridge is south.

Comment

This may be the case, here. BTW, neck is north, bridge is south.
                            Not following what you mean by "neck is north, bridge is south". You've got humbuckers, not singlecoils. Therefore two coils per pickup, each with its own magnetic polarity. So TWO magnetic polarities per pickup. So which coil are you talking about when you say Neck is North? And which coil are you talking about when you say Bridge is South?
                            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-10-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Not following what you mean by "neck is north, bridge is south". You've got humbuckers, not singlecoils. Therefore two coils per pickup, each with its own magnetic polarity. So TWO magnetic polarities per pickup. So which coil are you talking about when you say Neck is North? And which coil are you talking about when you say Bridge is South?
                              Sorry, I was just giving you the adjustable coils..so
                              neck screw: north
                              neck slug: south
                              bridge slug: north
                              bridge screw: south

now I realize this, I probably should have checked this to begin with.

Comment

Sorry, I was just giving you the adjustable coils..so
                                neck screw: north
                                neck slug: south
                                bridge slug: north
                                bridge screw: south

now I realize this, I probably should have checked this to begin with.
                                K, gotcha now, thanks.

The magnetic polarities you just reported for the Neck pickup make total sense for one that is RWRP.

Comment

Working...
                                X