Thrash factor A8 vs. JB A8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrash factor A8 vs. JB A8

I'm trying to decide on which pickup I want the custom shop to make me with an alnico 8 magnet in it. I briefly heard a JB w an A8 in it and loved it. I have not heard the thrash factor but am wondering what it would sound like with an A8 magnet. Anybody know? Greatly appreciated!
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I suspect that not many would be able to more than guess. What guitar are you thinking of putting it in? That can make a lot of difference.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would tell the Custom Shop that you want it to sound like (insert description) and you want it built with an A8 magnet and let them figure out the wind. Start from the sound first, and then move backwards.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I would tell the Custom Shop that you want it to sound like (insert description) and you want it built with an A8 magnet and let them figure out the wind. Start from the sound first, and then move backwards.
        I like the way the JB with the alnico 8 magnet in it sounds. What I am asking is what would the thrash factor sound like with an A8 compared to the JB with the A8? I think Mincer is probably the only one that would know...
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Just get a trash factor and do the swap yourself so you know exactly what you're getting. Plus less money.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I like the way the JB with the alnico 8 magnet in it sounds. What I am asking is what would the thrash factor sound like with an A8 compared to the JB with the A8? I think Mincer is probably the only one that would know...
            Actually, I can't give you first hand knowledge, as I've never tried it. It *should* bump up the treble, mid, & bass across the board. It will also up the compression of the pickups that are already pretty compressed. It isn't a sound I would use, but if you use your rig with everything wide open, and have no need for dynamics, volume or tone control, I think it could work.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You don't need the Custom Shop to do magnet swaps. It's really easy. Take the tape off, loosen the screws, pop the new magnet in. If it sounds out-of-phase with your other pickup, turn the magnet around. With that knowledge, you can do all kinds of experimentation. Since you've been on a pickup buying kick lately, and it kind of seems like you're new-ish to this world and interested in the nitty-gritty of pickups, trying some A2/A3/A4/A5/A8/ceramics in a single pickup would be a really awesome education. Dare I say, a crucial education.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                You don't need the Custom Shop to do magnet swaps. It's really easy. Take the tape off, loosen the screws, pop the new magnet in. If it sounds out-of-phase with your other pickup, turn the magnet around. With that knowledge, you can do all kinds of experimentation. Since you've been on a pickup buying kick lately, and it kind of seems like you're new-ish to this world and interested in the nitty-gritty of pickups, trying some A2/A3/A4/A5/A8/ceramics in a single pickup would be a really awesome education. Dare I say, a crucial education.
                Your right about one thing i have bought alot of pickups,I have multiple projects going and was on a search and ended up with the conclusion I like the JB the most out of all the stock pickups I tried. there are some things I would tweek or change, basically I want a JB on steroids tone and I 'think' the way to achieve that is with the A8. I've heard the JB8 and liked it a lot. I haven't heard the thrash factor so I guess that would be the next step before I try to change the mag in that. I was just wondering if anybody else wondered or knew the same thing. I have no technical knowledge of pickups or wiring I pay a very skilled luthier to do all my work. Yes it's expensive I guess I could learn,very busy atm,am getting close to the sound I've been looking for, just asking an opinion of the thrash factor with an A8 compared to a JB8(Which I like). If someone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess I will find out..

Comment

Haven't tried the Thrash Factor myself, but its description hints to a harsher JB. If that's true, I'd rather go Distortion. As a big JB8 and Custom8 fan I can't recommend Alnico 8 enough. One of my JBs has slightly mismatched coils (by about 8.85k vs 7.9k) and with the A8 it simply screams, full of harmonics without the A5 ice pick sound I need to adjust the amp's EQ for. My next project is the JB/Custom 8 bridge hybrid, apparently it's a cool combo
                  Great thing about Alnico 8 is that it tightens the bass and the highs sound smoother, plus lowering the pickup slightly helps to compensate for the increase in output compared to A5. Basically, for my ears the JB8 sitting slightly lower is just a smoother, tighter, better JB.
                  So yeah, go get some mags and start experimenting.
                  Last edited by AdrianSD; 06-15-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

... just asking an opinion of the thrash factor with an A8 compared to a JB8(Which I like). If someone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess I will find out..
                    My theory is this could be a small population. I would expect those buying the Thrash Factor are doing so to get Dave's tones. With that goal they would not change anything.

Still, there are those who like to experiment. If the Thrash Factor is the ultimate JB and a JB8 is a better JB, someone might make a TF8.

If no one has done it yet, you should go for it.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                    X