Wich Pot should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich Pot should I use?

I am building a single pick up Tele and wonder what potentiometer to use. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan 1/4 lber. should I use 500k pots or 250k ? Help!

welcome to the forum!

do you want a brighter, more aggressive tone (500k) or a darker, fatter tone (250k)? its gonna be loud and thick either way

Comment

Given that a Tele is probably the easiest guitar ever, to swap the pot. I'd try both, and see which you like better.

And welcome to the forum.

Comment

You could try wiring a 500k pot as a rheostat then use it to increasingly load the pickup and find out which you prefer. It's a worthwhile experiment if you've never tried it.

Comment

For Quarter Pounds, I'd probably use 500k as it is plenty thick.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

pot is singular?
            1)so just a volume?
            or
            2) volume + tone

for 1) would use 250k. had that setup and liked it.
            2) 2x 250k was too dark for me. so i would go no load tone pot or higher pot values

Comment

As we see, there is no standard answer. Most people try both and decide what they like.

Comment

I would recommend 250k for all single coils. I found higher resistances diminished the classic single coil sound.

Comment

there is nothing about the qp that is the classic single coil sound. 17k and .25" rod magnets is pretty different than 6k and .187" rods

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that- no one buys the QP expecting a 50s Strat sound. So the 'rules' regarding what pots to use go out the window, too- it is down to what you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X